The ending sentance could be applied to cameras as well: Buy new cars

for pleasure, not as investments.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's try spelling a simple word like "lose" incorrectly enough times and maybe we can get it changed in the dictionary. Same for "too"... Let's just simplify and let it be "to". In fact let's not offer any corrective information to people at all when they make an error in spelling the simplest of words, ones they'll probably use almost every day. Let's just let them and all the other people here who spell it the same way remain in the dark for the rest of their lives.

Next time I will make sure that I am sitting with both feet on the ground, that my elbows are off the desk and that my index fingers are on the f and j keys.

I will also meticulously proof-read each line before I hit the submit button. No more firing off a post at the drop of a hat for me.

Thanks for ruining my sense of spontaneity Mom, I mean Ray

It's not as if I'm sitting around correcting every little typo from everyone. I make them too. And I misspell words. But if you kept seeing people over and over referring to something as common as Tri-X as a digital process... eventually you'd want to set them straight, wouldn't you?

I see this word spelled "loose" all the time. It's not a typo. If yours was, my apologies.

Thiz maygz sence tooo doessssn't it? U cen reed it, eye know. But at what point do you start making up your own spelling, or just not care, and where do you recognize and respect convention of language???

Lots of people are going to think you're uneducated or stupid, even if you aren't, if you can't spell basic words when writing. If you want to go on like that, or don't care, that's your choice. I wasn't crucifying you for it, even though you seem to think that was my intent.

There is something about internet that does it to proofreading. The little submit and confirm buttons just scream: "Come on, get it over with!" Mea Culpa.

Anyway, back to the Cobra. I wonder what the mechanical condition of that car is like after ten years of storage. It will probably need a lot of work. It is the same with cameras that sit on the shelf for a long time. But fixing up a camera is easier than fixing up an antique car.

Ray: All good points but remember we got people from all over the world on this forum so be kind. language is nothing but a tool for communication. as long as we communicate, there isn't any problem in my book. yes, I can read your line all right so we are communicating fine. :o)

"I buy them for transportation. I don't see where pleasure comes into owning a car."

But yet you went and got all poetic over a coffee maker. Think of a car, then, as a coffee pot with wheels and maybe you'll understand the attraction.

Ray, I'm with you. At some point, bad grammar, spelling and punctuation say something about the person using them. I constantly see Chevy Camaros advertised as "Camero for sale." After awhile, I start to think that Camaro owners must be a bit stupid. Or maybe it's the mullets.

Eye half 3 degreez, end aye wahnt two stik two tha topik.<P>

If collectors want to waste their money on a mechanical wonder simply to let it rot in storage while they stare at it, it's their business. It doesn't bother me until collectors' demand inflates prices for those of us who want to use these things for which they were designed and built... But I suppose that has nothing to do with Leica.

I'm with you, Ray. The English language deserves to be employed properly. My favorite fictional detective, Nero Wolfe, was found at the beginning of one novel feeding Webster's third, page by page, into the fireplace because it allowed "imply" and "infer" to be used interchangably. He also refused to take on a client who used "contact" as a verb. My pet bugaboo is the use of "enormity" as a synonym for large as opposed to evil. I have noticed the loose vs. lose used many times, especially among my fellow Boeing engineers.

Hey, gang, if we never correct you, you will never learn, irregardless of how long you live.

P.S. I threw that irregardless in there as a lure.