Spartus Full~Vue: Snap Shooter

WARNING: Due to the increase in "Drive-By Whining" in this forum, I must warn you

that the images ahead are "snap-shot" in nature, photo's of family, friends, and a dog

are posted below. The camera used was not of a digital type and some images may be

blurry, fuzzy, and generally not sharp. If this type of photography offends you please

do not proceed.

* I am 18 and a mature adult, I don't mind snapshot's: WELCOME, PLEASE SCROLL

DOWN.

I was searching the site for info on an old Spartus Full-Vue TLRish camera I have

when I stumbled upon Gene M's site with some samples taken with the same camera,

really nice job considering the camera.

Searching the web I found an old ad posted for this camera, it stated that "It's the

family favorite for brilliant snapshots". It made me wonder, when did the snapshot

die? I like to look through old family albums, seeing snaps of people that for some

reason the person behind the camera found worthy of photographing. Blurry or a

little out of focus didn't matter, the pic made the album.

Nowdays I often see mom's with digi-point and shoots, take a pic- review it on the

screen- re-group because someone wasn't smiling- shoot it again and again till it's

perfect. I guess technology has perfected the snapshot.

Here are a few not so perfect snaps' taken with the "family favorite" Spartus Full-

Vue...<div>00D351-24919984.jpg.25ca1b945f324459e6a7ed11265647f5.jpg</div>

Hey, thanks for posting these!!! I have one of these, and was thinking about putting it into use. I think I will!!! I'm guessing that the young guy in the first pic has seen "Napoleon Dynamite." Never really understood that movie... Anyway, thanks for the pictures, they all look fantastic and show what this camera is capable of as well. The pictures actually seem very sharp in the middle, with bluriness around the outside.

A few questions, did you use the "instant" shutter setting, or were some of these taken on "time." Just wondering, since they are all exposed very well. What film did you use?

Few snapshots will ever qualify as fine art but in time most will become valid historical evidence. I am indifferent to just whose snaps they might be but I am more impressed by them than of the many attempts to outdo Weston, or Karsch, Cappa, HCB, or whoever it might be.

Danny,

the film was Tri-X 320, souped in Xtol 1:1 for 10 1/2 min. Gene M told me once the

shutter speed was around 1/50 sec. I think, I have heard 1/100th but mine seems

slower, all my shots were taken on "instant".

The center is sharper on my lens, maybe that's why so many old pics have the subject

centered in the frame, hhmmmmmhh? It's a thought.

thanks,

Todd

Great work Todd! I'm certain you could make exceptional photographs with any camera. You have a great eye for making an interesting composition.

I have found the borders between a 'snapshot' and a 'serious photograph' to be almost non-existant. A photograph's importance will vary between viewers. (But I guess that's just me... hehe)

"YOU SEE THE PICTURE before YOU TAKE IT!" as it says in the ad. Can this help us to understand how the snapshot has evolved? Perhaps film cameras today might be marketed as "NO chimping required."

<p>

I guess the snapshot was, in one sense, an immediate consequence of the invention of roll film, with the meaning of the content prioritised above almost every aspect of photographic technique. No problem with that.

<p>

None of which explains why the lady has a cabbage leaf on her shoulder, but perhaps some of the less youth-challenged forum members will recall the fashion.

Hey, nice results for such a low-end camera (sorry no offense intended!). I wonder why does it have such a big glass as "taking lens" if the aperture is so much smaller - if i am not mistaken, that's the "aperture" that round hole that can be seen on the first photo, right?

Great stuff. More proof that the photographer is the most important part of the camera. A good guitarrist can play decently on a cheap guitar, and a bad one will still make bad sounds on a good guitar. Same principle applies here. You have the eye, the timing, and good lab habits, and it pays off. Congratulations.

What other kind of shots should you be expected to make with a $9.98 TLR?! Nice snap shots there from such a basic camera. Probably would have looked just as good back in the 50's as a set of contact printed proofs.

I'm sure the taking lens is big to match the viewing lens in size and to give it that "pro" appearance. Remember, people saw pros at the time working with things like a Rolleiflex.

Great shots! I have several Spartus-Full vues. I just took the lens out of one and made a pinhole cameras. The earlier models, like yours, are much more rugged, while the later ones get pretty bad. I think the shutter speeds on these cameras vary from about 1/50-1/100 and the lens is all plastic.

In the upcoming Toycamera Handbook, I wrote the section on the Spartus. Look for it at Toycamera.com soon...