"Spark 2" at the Marina

Had some Astia 100 loaded in "Spark" when the sun was setting. Old "Eagle Eyes"

are hard to beat. Translated, the "beatup" 43 year old Iskra 2 with it's Tessar

did the deed.

Almost every time I use "Spark" the results are interesting.

Best Regards.<div>00IHi5-32743084.jpg.c37eee22a3bbc2880fbc3314aee07cb1.jpg</div>

<i>"What is an Iskra 2?"</i>

<p>This is one of the best medium format folders with a coupled range finder cameras ever produced. The Russians, KMZ in this case, cloned an Agfa Super Isolette, fitted their own in house viewfinder / range finder and designed one of the sharpest Tessar-type lens anywhere. </p>

Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX

These Iskras also have problems with their automatic film counter gizmo, so it's not unusual to find them fitted with a more conventional ruby window in the back door for film counting in the traditional manner. Trust those Russians to find a pragmatic solution to a design fault! ~~PN~~

Peter, I have three "Spark 2's" and the film counter works on all of them. I imagine broken ones must have been used by heavily gloved/powerful/anxious hands. It's also possible that some were intentionally modified to allow a 6x4.5 image size (more shots/roll).

The fact that broken film winding mechanisms continue to be used seems to indicate the lens/shutter are still viable image makers for some.

........... and, Iskra translates to spark in english. Regards.

Hi, John You've got not ONE, but THREE Iskras with functional film winds? That must be some kind of record, surely! However, if yours are all of the later Iskra 2 variety with the selenium meter, maybe KMZ had sorted out the troublesome film wind problem by then? My Iskra is the earlier type sans meter, and, yup, it's got the ruby window modification in the usual 6 X 9 format position so it can't have been to save on film useage via the 6 X 4.5 route.

The AGFA Super Isolette, on which the Iskra is loosely based, also has a weakness in the auto film wind department. I have a working Super Isolette cannabalised out of two non-runners, and thought maybe the bits left over from the transplant surgery could be used to get my Iskra shelf-queen mobile again. Unfortunately 'twas not to be, because KMZ didn't just do a 100% copyjob of the SI's internals, either with the film-wind or the shutter. Damn shame really, because it would have made a great article on just how a Russian Super Isoletteski got working again using original AGFA bits! ~~PN~~

Gene M, thanks, sometimes the light is "right".

Peter, my best Iskra 2 has not been used much, the other two have some mileage. Not many were made so there are just a few available on eBabe now and then and many have broken advance mechanisms. Oleg may be able to repair yours.

Josh X, I love big chromes, can't afford to project them though.

Hi, John I'm afraid my Iskra needs more than just a CLA or service, although its cosmetics are excellent. When our local Repair Guru here (in Perth West Oz)took it apart with a view to using bits from my spare Super Isolette, not only did he find things were sufficiently different to knock that idea on the head, but he alos found several bits missing from both the Iskra's shutter mechanism and film wind. Clearly someone had already been at it!

However, I'd only paid A$25 for it as a "non-goer" on Fleabay Oz, so with Plan A failing, I've got a long-term Plan B of finding a working Iskra in poorish cosmetic condition - maybe with a few dents here and there, ripped leatherette, etc - that could be cannabalised with my non-goer nice-looking one to produce a Frankensteinish Good 'Un. After all, that's what happened with my Super Isolette so no reason to assume it couldn't be done with the Iskra, right? ~~PN~~