Southern California travel advice

anne_williams

I am taking my 4x5 camera to So. Cal. for the first time in July. As

a newcomer to LF, I'd appreciate any suggestions for the following:

1. Color film choice and place to get it developed (we'll be staying

in Orange County most of the time). I'll bring my B/W negs to do at home.

2. Favorite locations to photograph between San Diego and a little

north of Santa Barbara. I don't mind hiking a ways, but know it can

be hot if you aren't on the coast. I'm thinking of photographing some

of the missions. Are there any restrictions that anyone is aware of?

3. Any retailers with a nice selection of used lenses, etc.?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

As far as film processing, there is a professional store with an attached lab in Irvine. I couldn't remember the name of it (been a couple years since I was there), but I just did a yellow pages search on Yahoo, and I think it's Pro Photo Connection on Fitch, close to the 405. They do pretty good black and white; and my Velvia slides came out well. And this place should be okay for your third question, as well.

A bit of advice. It's going to be very hot away from the coast, as you said. I don't know about restrictions at the missions, but I recall there being a good deal of them in San Diego county and southern Orange County, relatively close to the coast. Shouldn't be too bad for those. Good luck.

Anne, I've never had a problem photographing missions, just ask someone either at the gift shop, rectory, or park rangers office first. There are nice sand dunes at Oceano. there are the little towns of Los Olivos near the end of the wine trail that starts at mission Santa Ynez and ends, I think, at Fess Parker's Winery(an intersting bike trip if you have a bicycle!) and Ballard (which has a neat B&B) Coachella and Imperial Valleys might have interesting agricultural subjects if that suits your tastes and don't forget the Palm Springs Area (Shield's Date Gardens is a funky hold out from maybe the 1920's!) Landscapes, seascapes, architecture=lots to photograph. Have a great time!

You'll enjoy a trip to Freestyle Sales Co. in E. Hollywood. One of my favorite haunts while there. They have all of the color films in stock and can likely direct you to a pro lab. Mel Pierce Camera a couple of blocks NW of Freestyle is a traditional old school pro photo place with corners full of everything. Calumet Photo down on Cahuenga is worth a stop. And Samy's if you happen to be a millionaire. Photographs of course, are where you find them.

1. If you don't mind a little extra expense to avoid dust problems, you might consider Fuji QuickLoads for your color work. I'd suggest either Provia or Astia for transparencies, or NPS 160 for negatives. But, I'd avoid Velvia because of the high contrast you'll encounter with many of the scenes there - particularly the missions.

2. Take a look at http://www.ca-missions.org - it has a full list of the missions, their locations, and some background. You'll likely find that printing the list will be very handy. In most cases, you'll find that the front of the mission is an early-morning shot, as most of them are oriented to avoid the heat of the afternoon sun. I've only encountered problems with one mission as far as LF is concerned, and that was at San Juan Capistrano, I believe. They were undergoing extensive renovation when I was there, and seemed far more aggressive about "donations". Be prepared to do some N- processing to control the high contrast with your B&W.

If you like plants and such, there is a very nice botanical garden not far from the mission at Santa Barbara. The paths are well-maintained, so a wheeled camera case is not a problem.

Depending on how far you want to drive, Joshua Tree National Park is off Interstate 10, east of Palm Springs. Definitely worth a day trip, if you have time. (But, it will be hot, so take water.)

You may also find Old Town in San Diego and the Del Coronado Hotel on Coronado Island in San Diego interesting.

Have fun. There's tons of stuff to shoot in the area.

Joshua Tree National Park (bring water), Red Rock Canyon (bring water), Box Canyon (South of Joshua Tree - bring water), Santa Barbara Mission, Capistrano Mission, Santa Ynez Mission (Solvang), and do plan to drive to Sequoia / Kings Canyon (only 4 hours from LA)...

Best place for used lenses is ebay, you will find used lenses at Samy's and Calumet but be prepared to pay $'s...

It is absolutely impossible to describe the traffic. There are no words in English. Don't even think about going anywhere on Friday afternoon (when everyone is leaving) or Sunday afternoon (when everyone is returning) or morning & evening rush-hour.

San Diego is a much, much more beautiful city than Los Angeles.

The heat in Palm Springs in July is equally impossible to describe. If you brush against a parked car, you will wind up in the emergency room with first-degree burns.

The Mexican food is "to die for". At nearly 300 pounds, I am an expert. My recommendation is El Coyote Restaurant in Hollywood. Go mid to late afternoon, or you'll spend the evening waiting in line. At 3 PM you can usually just walk right in. Order a pitcher of Margerita slush and have someone waiting to drive you home. Across the street is the famous Roth Drapery Company, known locally as "The Drapes of Roth".

Owens Valley and Mono Lake are spectacular.

I wish I was going with you. It will be wonderful!

Hi Anne...

Re used lenses in San Diego, you might want to try: (1) a place called "Camera Exposure". Its in the North Park Section of SD, on Adams Avenue. They have a variably sized selection of used lenses at any given time and they're nice folks to deal with and, (2) Nelson's Photography - on India Street in Little Italy. Nelson's also has an array of used lenses that fluctuates in size...but if you're in town, you might consider them...

The Missions are cool. I can recommend the Presidio Mission near the intersection of I8 & I5 (southeast corner). San Juan de Alcala is probably the most publicized mission in SD but it gets crowded and uncomforatble ten miles away from the water. Balboa Park is very worth looking at as are the campuses of UCSD and USD if you are partial to architecture. UCSD actually has some really terrific (IMHO) modern structures and the cathedral and chapels at USD are cool. You might also find Santa Fe Station in downtown SD of interest.

I second the encouragment to visit the Sierra Nevada - especially the easter side - while you're out here. But it's a seven hour drive from SD and time is always an issue...

Cheers...

Robb Reed

Check out Vasquez Rocks State Park of off 14, NE of LA; Fossil Falls on Cinder Rd. off of 395 just a bit north of where 14 coonnects with it; Lake Sabrina in the Bishop Creek region of the Sierra Nevadas west of the town of Bishop on 395; Royal Palms Beach at the south end of Western Blvd. in Palos Verde(LA), that should be good for a few images I hope.

I'm sorry, but I have to second the negative opinion of "pro photo connection." They have ruined about 1/4 of the work I gave them, in a different way each time. To make matters worse, in every case they tried, lamely but with great arrogance, to blame me. When that didn't work, they would just deliver some insulting dismissal and turn their backs. Unreliable, sloppy, and with a supremely unprofessional attitude - go elsewhere!