source of 16mm cassettes / film

mike_s10

I recently, (being an avid Minox user and enthusiast) acquired a 16mm Minox clone, much rougher and readier but I

still want to use and try it.

Any ideas where I can get decent quality cassettes for self loading or pre loaded?

It is a Minolta 16, I used the term Minox clone for people unfamiliar with them so that they would be aware that the camera and cassette design followed the same guidelines, i'm a longstanding Minox user having owned and used most of the 8mm subminis from EC to LX.

I have several Minox cassettes with clips for reusability so it seems i'll be right at home with the 16mm versions, thanks for the name.

Mike

Minolta cassettes turn up regularly on auction and sell for anything from $1 to $30. Some shops also have stocks of film cartridges and the Minolta ones are particularly common. It is not unusual for cartridges to be more valuable than the camera as Minolta 16 cameras are still very much used by owners. They have good optics, mechanically sound and the QT/MG-s with 12x17mm negatives give very good enlargements.

The QT and MG-s often have batteries left in them which leak. Over all they are not so reliable as the more mechanical earlier models but well worth the effort to get one and even to pay for one to be fully serviced.

If you are looking at loading your own film and developing the negatives then the Minolta format is easier to handle and you can get 16mm Copex and Imagelink which does not even need to be slit. Some labs that can handle 110 printing can also do 16mm, but each frame needs to be manually position as the spacing is not even like on 110 film strips. With the larger negative scanning is also easier and some 35mm negative holders have a slot for use with 110/16mm which helps keep the film flat. e.g. the Minolta Scan Elite II carrier.

• 2 weeks later...

If you buy russian cassettes make sure they are for the Vega and not the Kiev series. The Kiev cassettes won't fit your Minolta - the capstan in the Kiev is smaller in diameter to accommodate more film and they just will not go onto the bigger Minolta capstan.

Murray

• 3 years later...
<p>Hello everyone. Just an update on Kiev cassettes for the 30/303 cameras. A Ukraine located seller on Ebay has them at decent prices. They appear to be original, since all need a good washing to get some goop off them...appears they must have wet processed the cassettes. Have used two with 80s film and they have worked faultless. Enjoy, Bill</p>

• 6 months later...