Source for 39mm lens hoods?

george_shihanian

Hi all,

Before I buy cameraquest's metal hoods/caps, does anyone have a

source for Leica or other brand hoods that will work on the Leica

CL's lenses? Either rubber, plastic, or metal. I don't think I'll

like the wide metal hoods always being on the end of my lenses.

I've looked about everywhere, so, if you recommend someplace, please

be sure they carry 39mm size. Don't say- "I think this place will

have them." many places, don't carry 39mm. Most places start at 42 or

43mm. I've been on enough wild-goose chases.

Thanks!

be sure of which lens. the 40mm elmarit-c and summicron-c both took Series 5.5 filters, which is not exactly a 39mm thread.

I believe B&H would have some adaptor rings, Series 5.5 to something or another, though the best target may be a 40.5 or 43 (by the way, 1 or two adaptor rings (especially 2 stacked, 5.5->40.5->43, or something) makes a modest hood.) And, the final larger end thread is a more findable filter thread.

As far as true 39 mm hoods, the current hood for the collpasible 50mm elmar fits any (other) Leica 39 mm filter thread.

Sorry, I do not see the Series 5.5 adaptor rings at B&H, but search and you may find them.

Both the 40 and 90 for the CL had this odd size -- with nice hoods, not easily replaced. The Minolta lenses that followed (? coincided) for the CL/CLE had more modern filter sizes.

I had a 90, and someone had wedged a filter/hood into it, to which I could screw further 39 filters into the front -- I think it was a 39mm -- and it worked ok. But, it was not a "fit".

Jim: I know it's not easy to find "cheap" 39mm filters, but if you use a protective filter, then all you need is a second cheap one from which to remove the glass, to make a hood on top of your good filter. So you might be able to find one scratched old 39mm filter at a local camera store that has a lot of used crap. Also, the cost of an average-priced generic brand 39mm filter is still less than the cost of a metal hood, and with the filter-hood you can cap the lens without having to take the hood off.

The parts department at Leica Northvale has the replacement hoods in stock for the CL lenses. They e-mailed the following price info:

044-011-019-000 $38.00 40mm hood

044-011-020-000 $38.00 90mm hood

044-013-046-000 $10.00 cap for either hood

You might want to buy a couple to keep on hand just in case.

Jeffrey L. T. von Gluck