sound activated flash

phil_harold

A basic Radio Shack audio amplifier and a few extra parts makes a sound trigger that will fire a flash. That's no real problem.

To fire the camera too is another story. You'll have to trigger the shutter release earlier to allow the mirror to be up and the shutter to be open at the time the flash goes off.

What are you trying to do? The US military has monopolized all the available thiotimoline so you'll need to find an alternative method.

Note that you will have complications if you try to use an E-TTL flash for this project. You should use a thyristor based flash or one with manually controllable output power which shouldn't be connected to the camera in any way if you use bulb mode in a darkened room. Also that way you may be able to achieve some very short exposure times (i.e. flash durations).

The shutter lag on the Digital Rebel is quite long (I've seen reports of around 140ms or about 1/7th second), so sound would travel about 150ft in that time. That makes triggering the shutter instead of the flash very tricky for fast moving subjects.

Thanks guys

I was wanting to take a picture of hitting a nail with a hammer so the idea of having it done in total darkeness scared my thumb and finger

I have an effective sound activated flash mechanism (which i built out of a reed switch) which works well with a small sound amplifier