Souls of San Francisco

wgpinc

<p>Interesting street photographer in the Bay Area named Dijon Bowden. I had not heard of him until I stumbled across this little article even though I'm frequently in San Francisco. <br>

https://blog.flickr.net/2015/12/17/photographer-finds-inspiration-in-everyday-encounters/<br>

I enjoyed reading about him and looking at some of his pictures.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Approaching strangers to ask to take their photograph isn't as difficult as it may seem and whatever psychological hang-ups a photographer may have in doing so eventually disappears. One learns by doing is how it happens.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I completely agree. In fact, asking strangers for a picture is super easy. The ones that are a bit more difficult are candid. Catching the right moment is difficult. Those are also the ones that can lead to drama. </p>

<p>I've been photographing people in streets for about a year in a small city in South Florida, Lake Worth, and I'm glad when I find someone else doing with the same joy as Dijon Bowden, shooting the beauty of people.<br /><br />I'm just starting, still developing technique , but I can tell you I making a lot of friends and I'm really surprised how people enjoy to see their pictures, even published or for sale. Some ask me to take their picture. The other day a guy identify his son in a picture and bought it. When I can identify a person I didn't talk with on a candid shot, I print it and give then later, or email, and is always, I mean always, a big and nice surprise. After some thousands of shots, never received a complaint about shooting then, of course I always respect the limit. A special care is required to take candid of couples to do not compromise, "you never know", I try to understand the relation before shooting, try to avoid sometimes or keep then for me. And children, always try to find the parents and have a eye confirmation, a OK, and if possible show then the picture on LCD.<br /><br />I shot a lot at night with a 35mm on a ASPC, not so far from the subject. Shoot people on street is not easy because sometimes my chance is for just one shot before they notice me. I always have in mind "don't look now". Maybe different from Dijon that insteract before shooting as shown in the video.<br /><br />I started for fun and is becoming a project. Downtown Lake Worth have plenty of artists, galleries, I can say is a art district, they are asking me to put then together. I did already a little show and another is schedule for March. Now is the high season here, a lot of people come from North and Canada, there will be a lot events and what to photograph until March.<br /><br />If you want to take a look I have then on my Instagram @adrianoficarelli. I have already some friends from photo net there.<br /><br /></p>

<blockquote>

<p>Catching the right moment is difficult. Those are also the ones that can lead to drama.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Totally agree. Apart from the scene or situation the composition and develop process can reveal sometimes surreal situations.</p>

<p>>>> I'm not that brave. That's why I shot trees.</p>

<p>Though related in a sense, I don't view it as being brave. It's about being willing to take a chance. After awhile you discover that many more potential subjects will say "Yes," rather than "No." And that's the worse that can happen, someone could say "No."</p>

<p>I think for some it's more a fear of rejection, and how that's handled afterwards if that should happen. Easy way is just to say "thanks anyway" and move on. Or engage further if you care to.</p>

<p>Kind of like going to a junior high dance and asking a girl to dance with you.</p>

www.citysnaps.net