Sorting through photos at events.

david_bletsoe_brown

<p>I’m part of a project group at Warwick Univeristy. We are currently researching the events photography market. Please could I ask you all two simple questions?<br>

How do you go about collating and organising event photos quickly?<br>

Would you have a use for a device that attaches to your camera and you can use, as you go along, to sort photos into folders using competitor or customer number?<br>

Thank you</p>

<p>Better to tag than to folder-ize. Most event shooters already have an established workflow using something like Lightroom. Pre-tagging the images would save them some work, but maintain the abillity to do everything else the way they're already doing it. I've watched people using everything from a dedicated spotter keying in competitor numbers to some slick OCR plugins. Lots of human support seems central to the process regardless, unless people are having barcodes read, etc.</p>

<p>Regarding <em>Quick - </em>I was just watching this <a href="

video tutorial</a> from sports and event photographer Jeff Cable who touts Photo Mechanics Pro. It gives a good example of sorting program use and potential requirements for events. Look to the 1:45:10 mark where he starts to show the program and his workflow. The rest of the video is pretty interesting as well. Apparently this is the #1 program used by photographers at Olympics were speed matters most.</p>

<p>As for an attached device that does this sort of thing automatically - personally that would depend on the interface and set up. If I had to spend just as much time entering and sorting keywords/preferences into one device as I would afterwards in post, no I would keep doing the latter. Besides, everyone has their own nuance and wording when it comes to labelling, sorting, batching, etc.<br>

Regards, James</p>