Sort function in Lightroom CC

I have noticed this type of issue before with unusual sorting by capture time in LightroomCC

1. The first time I noticed this phenomena was importing files off my my camera card that includes both video and stills. Upon import, when sorted by capture time, will sort the .mov files and group them together and separately will sort the .arw files and group them together. Both the .mov and .arw files are in correct sequence, but separated. This has greatly puzzled me. If one looks at the capture times, they are correct.

2. I am working on a project that involves scanning to tiff files and photographs as .arw files (Sony Raw). Again when sorted by capture time, all the .tiff files are sorted by correct time sequence, followed by all the .arw files sorted by correct time. Again in the metadata, the capture time field would have the tiff files and arw files mixed.

Has anyone else noticed this and is there a solution. It seems as if the capture time sort function has embedded an additional sort function for file extension.

Thanks

Steven

I have noticed this type of issue before with unusual sorting by capture time in LightroomCC

1. The first time I noticed this phenomena was importing files off my my camera card that includes both video and stills. Upon import, when sorted by capture time, will sort the .mov files and group them together and separately will sort the .arw files and group them together. Both the .mov and .arw files are in correct sequence, but separated. This has greatly puzzled me. If one looks at the capture times, they are correct.

2. I am working on a project that involves scanning to tiff files and photographs as .arw files (Sony Raw). Again when sorted by capture time, all the .tiff files are sorted by correct time sequence, followed by all the .arw files sorted by correct time. Again in the metadata, the capture time field would have the tiff files and arw files mixed.

Has anyone else noticed this and is there a solution. It seems as if the capture time sort function has embedded an additional sort function for file extension.

Thanks

Steven

#1, I see the same behavior on this end and just attributed it to either a bug or how the metadata is written. As for .awr's, what's the date/time on the camera?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

I had the same problem with MOV files; they ended up at the bottom of the Library window.

I managed to correct this. I do not know why it works, but it does (I suspect the internal date time seen by Lightroom is "different from the date/time displayed).

1) Select the image in the Library Grid view (other views may work, but this is what I did)

2) On the toolbar (at the top) click on METADATA > EDIT CAPTURE TIME

3) Change the capture time by one second (or more if you wish).

The image should now be in the proper chronological order.

I have Lightroom 6 (standalone)

@bgelfand... I tried your solution and it works. I tested an out of sequence .tiff and changed it by one second, saved the change and it then aligned properly in the capture time sequence. I also tried it on a .mov file which was out of sequence, but this time, I just adjusted the time by one second and then returned the time to the original time before selecting the 'Change' button (so I actually did not change the time), and this also resulted in the file being placed in the proper capture time sequence.

This is a horrible bug, particularly if you are using cameras with different extensions and you want to place all of the pictures in their correct sequence. I don't recall seeing this problem in the past so it seems like a more recent bug.

Anyone know how to report bugs to Adobe?

@bgelfand...I will try that tomorrow, but if that works this is truly a bug. Do you remember when you first encountered this problem? For me, it seems like a recent(past year) that I began noticing the problem. I will also have to try this trick on my .tiff issue

I have used Lightroom only since January 2017 - under a year-and-a-half. I always had the problem. Until your post I attributed it to converting from Photoshop Elements Organizer. When I saw your were having the same problem, I tried changing the time to see if that would fix the problem; it did. Interestingly I had only two MOV file and one JPEG of a document I made on an Epson 1650 scanner. The JPEG scans of negatives made on the same scanner are in the proper order. Go figure.

Since I have the non-CC version of Lightroom, the bug will never be fixed on my copy. Luckily the images end up at the bottom of the Library grid; they are easy to find and fix. It would be a large problem if they were randomly scattered throughout the library.