Sorry I'm late but 6D vs 5D II

hjoseph7

<p>I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a used Canon EOS 6D, but my first choice was really the 5D II until I started reading the reviews. The 5D III is totally out of the question since its way above my budget. I read that the 6D is actually a starter camera with minimum features and kind of light-weight literally. The 5D II is a semi-pro camera but a little dated. Plus I heard the 6D beats it out when it comes to picture quality.<br>

The reason why I want to buy this camera, is because I got a gig as a freelance wedding photographer and the owner prefers full frame shots.<br>

I have been shooting Pentax for the past few years and although Pentax just came out with a FF, I would need to purchase that, plus a couple of lenses and a speed light. I still have some of my Canon gear((lenses, speed lights), so all I would need is a FF body since I sold my 5D classic a few months ago. Which do you think would be a better choice ? </p>

<p>Except for price, there is v. little difference between 5DII and 6D. The only possible game changer between the two would be the shutter: 1/8000 and 1/4000 respectively. The 6D may have slightly less pixels (appx 200), tho it's lighter in weight, better ISO's, further expanding your DR, better battery life, GPS built in, wireless, (0.6) better FPS and somewhat better LCD resolution, etc. There are more focus points on the 6D, but not by much.</p>

<p>I've seen the output from the 6D, since a friend has one, and it's v. close to my D610 (v. nice). Indeed, would take the 6D any day....if I had the lenses for it.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>The 6D has a little more dynamic range and better high-ISO performance. I think that the AF systems are roughly equivalent. If you shoot a good bit of available light at ISOs over 1600, then I'd say go with the 6D.</p>

<p>You have done your research. I have shot weddings with the 6D, it can get the job done. Though a 5D MK III is a more professional tool. In my opinion the 6D is a step up from the from the 5D MK II and wedding photographers used the 5D MK II for years. For low light the 6D is said to have a slight edge over the 5D MK III for noise, very slight. This possibly due to slightly larger pixel sensor size that can gather more photons. The 6D is lacking in some features a professional would like on a camera. The 5D MK III has it beat in many features, many more focal points, easily accessible controls. Many features of the 6D are only accessed from the menu such as white balance. My 7D had more focal points and more easily access control on the camera, so in some ways as professional features moving from the 7D to the 6D felt like a let down. Picture quality and full frame it was a step up. Once you really get used to the camera though it performs well. You will just have to make sure you have gone through the menus and gotten it set up for the gig. With some good high speed sync capable speedlights, using bounce and remote flash, the camera can capture beautiful images. Would I trade it for a 5D MK III. Yes.</p>

<p>The 6D also has a cool feature of built in WiFi, you can use your computer, android phone or pad or iPhone or iPad to control it, though it only sends jpegs over WiFi. It can be nice if you have a computer hooked up and want to display images at the reception while shooting. First figuring out how to set up the WiFi can be a bit of a pain, but there are plenty of YouTube Videos and once done and practice with it, it is fun to work with.</p>

<p>Sometimes in low light, the 6D can be a little slow in locking focus with some lenses. I don't see the problem as bad with my Canon 24-70mm F/2.8 L, but if I am using my Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 low light focus can be slow, a problem when the camera just won't lock focus instantly and you can miss shots. Doing a wedding, this is frustrating, when the camera just won't focus the moment you need it to. I think the 5D MK III will have more cross type focal points and will have an edge in fast focusing and ability to quickly shift focal points. In this regard the 6D lacks. The 5D MK II has no advantage in focal points.</p>

<p>The 6D not having 1/8000th sec means nothing to me, It does have ISO 50, if I were to be at the beach or in a snow covered field in bright sun, it is not a big issue and if I really need to open the lens up I could put on an ND Filter.</p>

<p>If you can wait to save some more jingles and want to have a camera you won't want to upgrade from because you are going pro save for the 5D MK III, if you need the camera now and are willing to compromise on features I would go with the 6D over the 5D MKII. If you are on a really tight budget, get the 5D MK II. As I said professional photographers have been using them for years. They will all take decent images. Have some speedlights that do High Speed Sync, some 13-14 foot light stands, radio triggers and you can handle a lot of venues.</p>

<p>I have never had any regret getting the 6D over the 5D MK II, I do wish I had gotten the 5D MKIII, but I have taken many good photos with the 6D and photos the wedding couples and their families love. I just think I have to work a little harder to get those shots using the 6D. I think Canon could have added a few features, but if they had, there really would be little reason to want the 5D MKIII so that is why I think they purposely left those desirable features out.</p>

<p>I don't know if this helps you in deciding. It is just my opinion. What ever you buy, happy shooting.</p>

<p>Mark</p>

<p> </p>

Cheers, Mark

<p>I loved my 5D II but I would buy the 6D now because of how clean it is at high ISO.</p>

<p>Check out the studio shot comparisons for the 6D at DPReview.com--and the samples at the end of the review. Put them side by side on the page and set the ISO to 12800 on raw:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-6d/24">http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-6d/24</a></p>

<p>Is this enough resolution for you?</p>

<p><a href="http://4.static.img-dpreview.com/files/p/TS5472x3648~sample_galleries/8165085075/1091811140.jpg">http://4.static.img-dpreview.com/files/p/TS5472x3648~sample_galleries/8165085075/1091811140.jpg</a></p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>Let me start by saying I shoot with a Canon 6d and one of my friends shoot with a 5Dm2. We're both happy with our choices. As a 6D shooter, I've come to appreciate the geotagging capability for my landscape images. WIFI tethering is invaluable in extreme low light photography, as I can use my phone to adjust my exposure - "liveview" via smartphone. WIFI also offers the ability to get low angled shots that would be difficult to get on cameras without pop-out or articulating LCD screens. Finally, the 6d has its own sensor that is rated down to -3EV (able to detect enough light to focus in lower light scenarios than the 5Dm2 or the 5dm3).<br>

In either case, I'd submit that lens selection will ultimately determine how sharp your images are, and composition will ultimately determine how good your photos are.</p>

<p>I prefer the 6D to the 5DII. It is lighter, smaller, fits the hand better, better ISO range, quieter shutter, quiet shutter mode to name the first things that come to mind. Against is the somewhat lower shutter count rating but for me that is not much of an issue. <br /> I have heard this 'starters' camera thing elsewhere and presume a reviewer has said it somewhere. I think that is only true if you must have all the minor bells and whistles. Otherwise I think the 6D is a great compromise between capability and size. Just check it will do all you want before buying. Then if the check is OK - buy it.</p>

<p>I have my five-year old 5DII here with me, after just getting off the phone with Canon support. After downloading an important wedding shoot (my daughter's), I tried to format my cards in the camera. They won't format. When I put in a CF card I didn't use, it tells me it cannot be formatted. When I turn the 5D2 on, the screen doesn't come on. I have to send it in for an estimate. Canon tells me it might be a bent pin in the card compartment. Hells bells, the darned CF card only goes in one way, and it's a snug fit. <br /> I've never heard of this problem with SD cards. The 6D is quieter, lighter, and returns a cleaner higher ISO image (so I'm told). I would not hesitate to buy a 6D. Based on my experience, I wouldn't recommend the 5D2.</p>

<p>I still shoot with both my 5D2 and 6D. In good light there is no difference between the two cameras. Once you hit ISO 1600 the 6D leaves the 5D2 in the dust in terms of image quality. ISO 12800 on the 6D is amazingly good and ideal for theatre and bar venues. Not so much on the 5D2. Also, if you ever need to lift shadows, the 6D has another stop or two more in reserve and no strange patterned artifacts. While the overall AF performance is similar, the 6D's center point is stellar and will actually lock focus in places you need ISO 12800. </p>

<p>The 6D also has some modern features the 5D2 lacks: Wi-Fi for use with Canon Connect iOS/Droid apps and GPS. If I was starting from scratch, I'd buy two 6Ds rather than using a 5D2 and 6D.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>While I like CF memory for speed, you do have to be careful inserting because of the pins. All it takes is a little spec of dirt to get into one of the holes on the card and when you insert the card the plugged hole will bend a pin. You have to take care when handling the CF cards, no putting in a pants pocket for risk some dirt or lint in the pocket could get into a hole on the card.</p>

<p>Speaking of memory cards, be careful on the 6D to use UHS-I rated speed cards or faster. The 6D likes cards that can write at around 45megs/sec or faster. The bargain priced Class 10 SD cards, marked with a large C with a 10 in it (for 10 megs/sec write), won't work well in the 6D, the Class 10 SD Card may seem to work at first but the write speed is so slow, big problems if you do a burst or are clicking fast, the card can become unreadable to the camera as it fills and you may find you will not be able to recover many photos from a shoot even in the computer. This would be <strong>very bad</strong> doing a wedding shoot. Fortunately I have not had that happen on a wedding shoot, but it did happen to me on a vacation.</p>

Cheers, Mark

I read in the wedding forum that you might like to consider shooting weddings. One of the major failures of wedding

photographers is bad cards. I know that the Mark 3 is out of your price range, but take a look at the 1DS Mark 2's. These

are great pro cameras with dual card slots, so if one card screws up you will have a second card as your backup. This

surely beats a lawsuit! The 1DS Mk 2's sell for a very decent price used with places like KEH in great condition with low

shutter clicks. I think the shutter is good for 300,000 shutter clicks.