Sony Vaio upgrade can damage your Vaio computer system.

<p>This is not a question, just sharing good, or in this case bad experiences, so possibly others could avoid troubles.</p>

<p>Sony sent an email notifying about availability of a security firmware upgrade for certain Vaio family of laptops.<br />The list of applicable family members was very long, and perhaps I missed it. My computer code was short, while the applicable codes were much longer, so the prefix name/code fit some of the listed codes.<br>

<br />Upon installation of the upgrade, at the end of it I received a message, that this upgrade was not appropriate for my version of Vaio.</p>

<p>After restarting computer, only minimal number of services were enabled, and most of them were disabled. All installed applications were present in their folders and registry, but could not run properly, as some required processes were "Disabled". It turned out that about 95% of services were left disabled.</p>

<p>Started enabling them one by one, and restarting computer, and managed to restore the operation of few applications. However, at some point I encountered the services depenency problem preventing me from activating some of the required. I had no sufficient information in what order, or what groups needed to be manually enabled to make the computer sane again. Perhaps this is not even possible to do ?</p>

<p>Finally, the only choice was to restore the operating system.</p>

<p>Try to do a restore to a Windows Restore Point. This will put your OS back to a previously working configuration and wont affect any data. You MAY lose applications you installed since then, hopefully before this was installed, it created a Restore Point for you! Good Luck</p>

<p>So, before any upgrade, I need to make an extra restore point, before installing. I will always make sure of this in the future.</p>

<p>Perhaps I did not do deligent research if the upgrade was appropriate for my computer version, perhaps it was not, or it was ambiguous from the way they presented the list of candates.</p>

<p>However, I would expect Sony software to be safer, and test the computer versions better, before attempting installation, and reject the upgdare if it was not appropriate.</p>

<p>Allowing installation then quitting it, and leaving the system in a messy state, is just not what I would expect from Sony.</p>

<p>Frank, Windows Update generally creates an automatic Restore Point for any larger updates, if Sonys update did not create one, you may still be able to backtrack to a system configuration that will work prior to installing this. Search for Restore Point for your version of Windows on www.microsoft.com on how to use this feature.</p>