Sony RX100 iii camera life

annie_xystouris

I bought this camera second hand but supposedly it had hardly been used.

I have a real issue with how little the battery lasts. The other day I used it for a total of 3h, took around 50 shots maximum, and the battery was almost dead by the end. I have a second battery, though I didn't buy the camera charger (regretting it already). Still though, it feels like this is way too short. Or am I wrong and this is normal?

Any tips on how to make the battery last longer? It's already in airplane mode while I'm on the go....

Thanks in advance!

With a battery of that size (1240 maH), 3 hours or 300 images (whichever comes first) is typical. Try turning WiFi off, especially of you're out of range. You can try turning the camera off when not being used. However the battery takes a hit during the startup process. It takes less power to wake up, so set the sleep timer to 2 minutes or less. If you're on vacation, carry at least two spare batteries, and hope you don't need the second one.

The earliest review I could find of this camera is nearly 4 years ago. So the battery could easily be that old. Batteries don't last forever, and 3 to 4 years of frequent use - say 200 to 300 charge/discharge cycles - is pretty good going.

Just get a cheap 3rd party battery and charger set. You can buy 2 batteries + charger for less than Sony ask for just one battery.

I bought some spare 'RavPower' batteries and charger for my a6000 over a year ago. They work as well as the Sony originals - so far - and the charger does the job and stays cool in the process. It did need a uUSB supply in addition though.

Even if the cheap batteries give up in a year's time, who cares? At the price, I can just buy another set.

I've had too many cheap batteries give up on the job

How many is that, and which brands?

I have about equal numbers of 3rd party and OEM batteries, of different types spread over several cameras. Maybe more 3rd party ones - I really don't keep count.

I've had some of the 3rd party batteries for close on a decade, and only had one fairly rapid failure out of maybe 6 batteries of the same type that I keep as spares. The delay caused was maybe 45 seconds while I swapped the battery out, and a slightly longer time after the shoot to verify that the battery was unserviceable.

A big deal? Absolutely not.

And at OEM prices I definitely wouldn't carry so many spare batteries, which might definitely lead to an issue.

Not sure why so many people are so ready to demonise 3rd party batteries, sold at a realistic price for what they cost to produce - i.e peanuts. When it's profiteering OEM suppliers that should be seen as the villains.

And at OEM prices I definitely wouldn't carry so many spare batteries, which might definitely lead to an issue.

I buy OEM batteries exclusively, so I don't need many spares - about twice the capacity I anticipate using in a single day.

The names of those which failed me are fogettable, and forgotten they remain ;) They were mostly Chinese knockoffs included with other equipment. I also have some very good Chinese batteries that hold up very well, for heavy-duty video use. they're not as expensive (or with as many features) as Anton Bauer, but not cheap eather.

Sony batteries are "smart," and work in close conjunction with their cameras. Third-party batteries often cause a "Warning" notice, which you can override if comfortable that smoke won't follow. They also work with generic chargers like Watson. Big Li-Ion batteries (the kind that bring down airplanes) should only be charged in a device made by the same company.