Sony/Minolta pictures of the week | 7 February 2021

howardstanbury

Amazing. What's the RD-175 like to use?

It's a challenge.

There's only 1.75MP, one ISO (800), and a max aperture of F6.7. The Minolta software to convert the native .MDC 'RAW' files to TIFFs or JPGs will run on a Windows machine. I didn't have the original recording media, so I have used a CF card in a PCMIA adapter. Max size is about 200MB / 199 photos, regardless of card size. I copy a cloned Minolta card to the CF card in order for the camera to save images. The first image above is corrupted because I think the CF card I was using was damaged.

The camera it self is about the size of a big SLR with vertical grip attached. It comprises a film body fused with the digital tech back (and bottom). This extra space doesn't serve as a vertical grip though. It has three batteries - one for the digital bit, another for the camera body, and a third to keep time and date. Alas the latter can only be set via a SCSI cable connected to the camera ... and I don't have that cable. So all my photos are currently date stamped 13 Sept 2059 at 15:21!

If you ever get one I'd recommend looking at this thread in dyxum.com, All about Minolta RD-175 - Dyxum - Page 1.

• Like 1