Sony/Minolta pictures of the week | 25 March

howardstanbury

dcstep, as usual your wildlife photographs are awesome. Can you tell me which body you were using? Are you using your Canon long lenses with adapters for the Sony E mount? Have you tried some of Sony's longer lenses? Been trying birding with a 70D and the original Canon 100-400L but the results aren't very good. They see me coming and fly off somewhere and hide when I'm around.

Thank you Mark.

The first shot in this thread is with the a7RIII, with the Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS II, the EF 1.4x TC-III, connected via the Metabones EF-to-E T-adapter MkV. The second and third shots are with the Sony a9, the Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS, with the FE 1.4x teleconverter. All are handheld.

So far as I know, Sony has no longer FE mount lenses. I plan to buy the FE 400mm f/2.8 GM OSS when it comes out, hopefully, as announced in August. The Canon long lenses are slow to respond on the Sony bodies, unless the light is perfect. Also, there are greatly missed functionality, such as "Lock-on AF" in about 8 different modes, eye-detection and super quick response.

When I was still with Canon, I got great results with the Canon 5D MkIV, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L II and the EF 1.4x TC-III. The body and the lenses are equally important.

If you're thinking Sony and birds, I'd recommend the a7RIII, with the Sony 100-400m and the FE 1.4x teleconverter. That's a killer setup and the high pixel-density of the a7RIII makes it great at cropping further.