Sony/Minolta pictures of the week | 19 February

howardstanbury

Out on a walk last week I went to photograph this point where two branches of the Castle Mill stream (part of the river Thames) merge in Oxford. Known as the Swan's Nest it is thought that a major west-east route through the city came this way, contributing to the formation of Oxford in Saxon times. You can just make out the shape of a tower from the Norman castle behind the branches in the middle of the photo.

32906780785_c227d5b7e7_b.jpg

Sony NEX-7 and E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS

Not far away this rusting canal boat was moored on the river near a boatyard. Later the same afternoon a three-storey block of flats behind here to the left exploded and collapsed, killing one person and injuring two.

32906778225_531c8ce31d_b.jpg

Sony NEX-7 and E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS

Howard, those home explosions are frightening. Glad you are safe. Had my grandsons pottery out in the sun for an airing. There was plenty of light so I could crank up the shutter speed on the A100 and 35-100 Minolta lens. The pictures are very sharp which made me remember that many of the pros (Eisenstadt) always used a tripod. I have a tripod but seldom use it because it is cumbersome. Maybe I should get cumbered.

337021784_smallcup2.thumb.jpg.034d52a26d5573427f43310a66f409bc.jpg