Sony game changer?

Gup

<p>First reviews on more technology oriented sites leave me with the impression of a very much "version 1.0". The idea is nic-ish, but it seems the current implementation is a bit cumbersome. Handling-wise it also looks pretty clumsy to me. Plus, mobile phone manufacterers aren't sitting still themselves; the sensor of the Nokia Lumia 1020 for example is considerably larger than what the smallest of these 2 sony add-ons has, delivering a quality that's probably equal or better - without the hassle of pairing the add-on with the phone.<br>

So - kudos to Sony for thinking original solutions, but I feel it's better to wait for version 2.0 of this idea.</p>

<p>My dream camera is a Sony rx100 that is run by android. Whether cute, neat or fun, there's a niche market of people like me that is desperately wishing for the convergence of point and shoot quality files to reach smart phones. I'd use it instead of carrying my rx100 point and shoot. I'd use it for wireless tethering and get my viewfinder several feet away from the lens...what freedom! This is a street photographers "from the hip" dream camera. Lens in left hand, voice command 'shoot' spoken into the right hand holding my phone. You could put the lens in some pretty creative places while being able to frame-up and see what is going on. I'm also one of the millions that would certainly appreciate the option of share/sending higher quality images to our social networks instead of crapola smart phone pictures. </p>

<p>That's an interesting thought on application, Eric. </p>

<p>I don't do street work, but from my limited stealth photography experience, any camera's form factor will end up constraining the way you shoot - we're all familiar with its limitations if a camera requires you to raise it to eye level.</p>

<p>I much prefer articulated bodies on older Sony models; you can frame and shoot looking down so no one knows you're actually shooting. It's an inconspicuous way to photography while sitting somewhere, or from the hip with its available wired remote. </p>

<p>I can see how separating the screen from the camera will be useful in many applications, in fact, as a high end Go-Pro replacement. I think Sony might have a hit on their hands if they thought of it (built it, and marketed it) that way. </p>