Sony first out of the gate with a 12MP point and shoot

phule

<<Can't the electronics industry drive a stake thru the heart of all their 1990s kinda guys and gals in the marketing department?>>

You're presuming that's enough to actually kill their kind. I suspect it would need to be more Rasputin-style.

I certainly don't begrudge anyone whatever bit of shiny they want to buy. There's clearly a market for these things.

I just wish camera companies would also throw some R&D behind other aspects of the point and shoot. Better dynamic range, faster response, larger and faster buffers, more control over settings, better LCD screens, better UI, etc.

I realize though that for 99.9% of the point and shoot market, these things rarely matter. (Except maybe the faster response times.) They put these cameras on full auto and never leave. They brag to their friends about their cameras having "twelve pixals" and "five ex zoom" and they couldn't care less about the rest. And who's to say they're wrong? They're happy enough with their images to not give improving their photography a second thought. To a lot of photographers this may seem like a waste but I don't think it really is.

I'm sure that all the other camera companies will follow up with 12MP models of their own as soon as Sony starts shipping them these sensors. And I'm sure that the software engineers will spend many a late night trying to figure out how to apply various levels of noise reduction to clean these images up. Maybe Olympus has the right idea. Release a camera with 8MP then pixel bin the crap out of the images in order to make ISO 10,000 available. For consumers who rarely print even a 4x6, would they ever even notice? Might as well put all those extra pixels to some use...

John, We will not see that sized sensor on that sized body with that lens. You should forget about it. Never happen. If you try, you end up with a Sony R1.

Also, there is no such thing as a good small format viewfinder unless it is a rangefinder or ttl.

And that's why the D40 exists, and the other future mini-dslrs, and probably why there is no R2.

"I just wish somebody would put a 6 mpxl. APS sized sensor in a point-n-shoot with a 28-140mm (equiv.) f2.0 zoom and a good viewfinder."

Hallelujah. Although I'd settle for a choice of a fixed 28mm equiv. or a fixed 50mm equiv."

Try the Sony R1, It has APS sized sensor with a very good lens,

Digital sensors require larger lens than the film counterpart, so you wont likely soon see an APS digicam with 28-140mm that is much more compact than the Sony R1.

But let me add that among the new camera Sony had released lately,

I think the H9 is the hottest.

The problem is , I'm now split between buying a new lens or buying the H9, if the reviews of the H9 are (more likely) positive.

And what about the new s3IS?

I think I need counselling .

"When did digital sensors start requiring larger lenses?"

if you look at 35mm film point and shoot, the lens is small even though it is a full frame. But that cant be done with a FF digital sensor or even an APS one, cause the light need to hit the sensor at near 90 degree , therfore requiring bigger lens than film.

With current sensor technology, it is still not possible to have an APS digicam as compact as a film point and shoot.

"The D40 is nice but the current lack of AF-S primes from Nikon knocks it off my wish list" John

You miss the point. That's as close as you're gonna get to your wishlist camera: "just wish somebody would put a 6 mpxl. APS sized sensor in a point-n-shoot with a 28-140mm (equiv.) f2.0 zoom and a good viewfinder." You understand why, now. So, not having a prime you want is irrelevant. Just consider it a p&s.

Your other choice is the Sony R1, a much much heavier and bulkier beast. And much more expensive, too.

D40 is priced right in the prosumer range.

The digicam needs 12Mp so that it can dispense with a long zoom .. different ways of killing the puddicat :-)

Isn't it a silver bullet that is required for the marketing types?

I just got my 10Mp pro-sumer, how can my poor old 6Mp DSLR compete :-)