Sony Cyber-shot dsc-hx5

garyak

Hoping for some assistance. Acquired a dsc-hx5. I dropped in a blank 16gb sd card and it says "no memory space on memory card". Walmart guy said I might need a smaller card. Anyone here know what card I'd need for sure? Will I need a different card to do videos?

I just did a quick search. The manual for your camera is here:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4172/41726732M.pdf

and there's a handbook available here: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4172/41726681M.pdf

Take a look in particular at the handbook page 3, section "Notes on the types of memory card that you can use".

Note that "SD card" covers a family of different memory card technologies, which are not always backwards compatible. The original cards were just called "SD cards", but they've since been retrospectively named "SDSC cards". These have a maximum capacity of 2GB. Newer SD cards (in chronological order) are called SDHC, SDXC and SDUC. See also the Wikipedia article on SD cards: SD card - Wikipedia

• Like 2

I just did a quick search. The manual for your camera is here:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4172/41726732M.pdf

and there's a handbook available here: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4172/41726681M.pdf

Take a look in particular at the handbook page 3, section "Notes on the types of memory card that you can use".

Note that "SD card" covers a family of different memory card technologies, which are not always backwards compatible. The original cards were just called "SD cards", but they've since been retrospectively named "SDSC cards". These have a maximum capacity of 2GB. Newer SD cards (in chronological order) are called SDHC, SDXC and SDUC. See also the Wikipedia article on SD cards: SD card - Wikipedia

Thanks, Colin. That's a big help. I'll order the appropriate card, spare battery and charger...should be set.

• 4 weeks later...

Possibly 16g is too much for the camera. I can report that I have the DSC-HX1 with 8g, no problem, yet I'm unable to find specifics on maximum size accepted on the camera, sounds like this could be the case. I also have one adapter (Memory stick to Micro SD) but haven't tried a card that size (16g), BTW yes, you can use those adapters to use Micro SD cards instead of Memory Stick).

BTW, just a question, will appreciate if you can give me some help. Do you happen to have a CPL (Polarizer) filter? does it work with your Sony Cybershot DSC-HX5??

My CPL filter and my Sony DSC-HX1 doesn't get along, it produces zero polarize effect. Already tried backwards. Situation described here:

Polarizing filter not working - Sony Cybershot DSC-HX1

Possibly 16g is too much for the camera. I can report that I have the DSC-HX1 with 8g, no problem, yet I'm unable to find specifics on maximum size accepted on the camera, sounds like this could be the case. I also have one adapter (Memory stick to Micro SD) but haven't tried a card that size (16g), BTW yes, you can use those adapters to use Micro SD cards instead of Memory Stick).

BTW, just a question, will appreciate if you can give me some help. Do you happen to have a CPL (Polarizer) filter? does it work with your Sony Cybershot DSC-HX5??

My CPL filter and my Sony DSC-HX1 doesn't get along, it produces zero polarize effect. Already tried backwards. Situation described here:

Polarizing filter not working - Sony Cybershot DSC-HX1

I got a 16g SDHC card and it works fine. The other 16g I initially tried/failed was not SDHC. I don't know about using a cpl with this camera. Mine is not threaded to accept any add ons. Maybe a person could hand hold a filter in front of the lens..??

I got a 16g SDHC card and it works fine. The other 16g I initially tried/failed was not SDHC. I don't know about using a cpl with this camera. Mine is not threaded to accept any add ons. Maybe a person could hand hold a filter in front of the lens..??

Thanks. Will keep researching.

I got a 16g SDHC card and it works fine. The other 16g I initially tried/failed was not SDHC.

In that case; maybe the first card you got was a fake or just faulty?

All SD cards over 2GB capacity should be marked 'SDHC' - High Capacity.

I got caught with a fake SD card that was marked as having 64GB capacity, but also said 'SDHC', which is wrong. It should have been marked 'SDXC' at that capacity. However, it was dirt cheap, which should also have rung alarm bells. So no great loss. (The fake card actually has a useable size of about 1GB, but then runs the risk of over-writing previous data if that limit is exceeded. It also has exceedingly slow read and write speeds.)