Sony bodies that support Canon IS lenses questions?

mark_stephan2

If I used my Canon 24-105 and 100-400 IS lenses with a Sony a6000 or a7 would I have image stabilization from the lens? I realize these bodies do not support IBIS but they are an economical way to get into Sony's E mount system. The reason I ask is because my brother who lives 500 miles away has a friend who is selling both for a really good price. The owner only used the kit E lenses on these bodies and my brother is into guitars and music and not photography so he can't answer my questions.

Read this link.

I have no experience with that Sigma converter, since I find half the fun of owning an a6000 is being able to use almost any old manual-focus lens with it. Some of which are surprisingly good, and others......

Whatever. That Sigma converter appears to do what you want, and at half the price of a Metabones. However, it does seem to be geared towards Sigma lenses (no surprise), so maybe it only has full compatibility with Sigma firmware?

I dunno! It's worth investigating though.

Dammit Mark. I came across a Nikon to Sony-E adapter by Viltrox (no, I've never heard of 'em either!) and placed an order. It's supposed to support VR, but we'll see.

I don't know whether to thank you for prompting me to look for adapters or not. We'll see when it arrives in a few days time.:):(

There are ways to get into the Sony E-mount economically. Now if there were a way to do the same with E-mount lenses ;) I doubt that an A6000 supports IS, even with an adapter. An A6500, which has IBIS, may. You need to find out from people who have used both, or perhaps from Vello or Fotodiox, who make smart adapters.

It may just be my pickiness but i bought one of the Sigma adapters and tried it out with my Sony a6000. For me I didn't like the way it worked so I ended up sending it back. Now I just use the very good Sony/Zeiss 17-70mm 4.0 zoom lens along with the Sony 55-210mm zoom lens and the Sony 35mm 1.8 fixed focal length lens. I will continue using my Canon 6D DSLR with their very fine L lenses for now until I can prioritize for either the Canon EOS-R or one of the full frame Sony E mount full frame cameras (A7 II or III, or A7R II or III). I really like the color and skin tones I get with the Canon DSLR but I'm sure that the Sony E system would be satisfactory.

Rodeo Joe, please let us know how the Viltrox adapter works out. I'm leaning towards getting the A7 because I have so many manual focus lenses made by Nikon ai and ais, Pentax k, Canon FD and Minolta MD. Get adapters makes a lot of sense. Question, can I use my excellent 16-50 f/2.8 + adapter with the a7 or is the a6000 a better choice?

Rodeo Joe, please let us know how the Viltrox adapter works out.

It didn't work out.

Basically it just didn't work.

Calling it a POS would be an insult to most POS.

Not only did the VR not work, but AF didn't work either - the lens dithered about for up to 5 seconds, then locked onto an invisible subject several inches in front of what it was pointed at. That's when the adapter could be bothered to operate the G lens aperture.

I tried updating the firmware, which made no difference.

It also varied in (lack of) performance between lenses:

Nikon 18-140 DX G zoom - didn't work at all.

Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX - AF dithered but settled OOF. Aperture worked for several shots and then closed down.

Tamron 24-70 SP VC zoom - worked sporadically like the Nikon 35mm.

Tokina 11-20mm DX zoom - didn't work at all.

Adapter didn't work at all on a NEX-6, and only worked as above on the a6000.

I gave up testing it at that point.

The instructions made no mention of compatibility issues. All that was said was:

Lens compatibility - Nikon F mount.

Camera compatibility - Sony E mount cameras.

Oh, yes. In addition there was a nice shiny black plastic rectangular 'baffle' inside, which was obviously deliberately designed to completely take the edge off lens contrast.

Anyway, this Chinese practical joke is now headed back to Amazon for a full refund.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

Re the Canon 24-105 and 100-400 IS: you can get decent functionality out of them with the Metabones adapter using latest firmware, other adapters not quite as good. While the Sony/Canon combo is generally a nifty kluge, its still a kluge: performance of each individual Canon lens is different on each Sony model, with zooms typically more problematic and the only fixed variable seeming to be Metabones stays on top of things with firmware updates and others don't (the Sigma is preferred for some lenses but not others). The Canon+Sony lens IS and focus performance with the Metabones , Viltrox and Fotodiox adapters is charted fairly extensively in this slightly outdated but still comprehensive overview. Long story short, the 24-105 is good to go while the 100-400 can have issues above 200mm. Zooms typically perform better pictorially on the full-frame A7 than the A6000.

As far as Nikon AF lenses? They're a complete utter fail on anything but Nikon DSLR bodies. Unlike Canon, Nikon has convoluted electronic protocols highly resistant to reverse engineering on the body control side, plus most still have a mechanical stopdown lever which further complicates adapter design. Sony got a free pass from Canon to put themselves on the map: had Canon been as much of a PITA to adapt as Nikon we would not be talking about Sonys at all today. Nikon pre-AI, AI, and AIS lenses adapt beautifully to Sony for manual focus and aperture control, as do early AF and AFD Nikkors with physical aperture rings. AFS-G can be done with gimmicky aperture ring equipped adapters, but again limited to manual focus (AF functionality is garbage). The only lens lines that offer plausible AF on Sony bodies are Canon EF, a handful of older Minolta AF, and dedicated Sony E mount glass.

As far as Nikon AF lenses? They're a complete utter fail on anything but Nikon DSLR bodies.

I have a Fotodiox adapter for Nikon lenses, which offers almost complete compatibility. The diaphragm of older lenses with the lever can be controlled with a thumbwheel on the camera. If the lens is chipped, the f/stops appear in the viewfinder. AF-S and AF-P lenses will auto-focus, but screwdriver lenses are manual focus only. The adapter recognizes and transmits the focal length to the camera, which is used by IBIS for the correct response. Focus magnification must be enabled manually, and a button can be programmed to do that.

FotodioXFUSION Smart Mark II Adapter for Nikon F Lens to Sony E-Mount Camera

Yes, but it isn't as widely applicable as similar Canon adapters: much depends on your expectations and luck. Fotodiox Nikon AFS-G adapters are "fully-functional" in the sense that they operate all features, but few owners are thrilled with the actual performance of those features. Depending on the A7 model, AF is slower than slow: not comparable to what you get with the Canon/Sony adapters and key Canon lenses. Nikon remains what Nikon always was: a cross-compatibility nightmare for other brands.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Nikon enthusiast going back 30+ years, but realistically their most prevalent mid-period AF lens design doesn't lend itself to Sony E adaptation for anything but landscape work. For shooting anything that moves with AFS-G, one is probably better off with a supplementary Nikon DSLR (a near-disposable D600 body will dramatically out-perform most FotodioxAFS>Sony combos). Even Nikon's own new mirrorless Z Sony knockoff bodies with Nikon's own FTZ adapter are less desirable for most AFS shooting than a lowly D600 native AFS body (and again, not fanboy fapping: I personally loathe the D600).

Thank you for the valuable information you provided. Earlier today I found out about the budget priced Canon Rp but like the R body is doesn't offer IBIS. The problem I have with Canon is the lack of IBIS, something I need because I have a degenerative neuromuscular disease so help from all forms of image stabilization is appreciated since most of my EF lenses do not have IS.

• 2 weeks later...