Sony a9 Demonstration Shots

Discussion in 'Sony/Minolta' started by dcstep, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Wow! That's not at all what I see. I'm a paying "Pro" member, but I didn't think that the experience would be so bad for visitors. How are your going to recruit people if you stick them in the eye when they try to visit?

Tim, are you a member of Flickr? If not, would you do me a favor and sign up for the free membership for just a day, to see if the experience is any different. I hate clearing my cache, but I may need to log in from a non-member's computer to see what others see. It's blissful and sublime as a Pro Member.

I don't allow people to download my full resolution files, BUT I thought that they could at least be viewed full screen on Flickr. BTW, if anyone would like to have me send them a full resolution file, I'm happy to share, for limited personal usage.
  2. I logged in through my Yahoo account and nothing really changed unless you added more images of the deer than what showed up in the OP link. I'll show screengrabs of what I get. What I now get from the original link which has no enlarged versions of the deer.

Slideshow format after clicking on deer on the page above. No enlarged version. Have to use magnifying glass which covers the entire page so you can't see EXIF link.
  3. I am a pro member as well - and the view of a photo page is identical whether or not I am logged in or not:

Screenshot-2017-11-2 Quiet Evening On The Reservoir(1).jpg

To see the EXIF (below the viewing statistics), one needs to scroll. Clicking on the image gives the largest available version (up to 2048 pixels); to get anything larger (if available, one needs to click on the little downward arrow in the lower right corner.

Screenshot-2017-11-2 Quiet Evening On The Reservoir(2).jpg

That's impossible: if one can view it, one can download it (one actually already has since viewing it means the browser downloaded it already). With downloading disabled, the largest viewable size is 2048 pixels (and that can be limited down further in the settings).

BTW: I wonder how I can find EXIF data here on ...
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  4. And of course the EXIF data on the deer image doesn't indicate distance of subject but then I'm not sure if camera's can do that now. I believe I remember seeing in one EXIF data dump distance of subject info but that was a while back and I can't be for sure nor can I remember the camera model.
  5. My A7II does (and so do all my current Nikons) - but that doesn't mean that the info survives the trip through the processing software and the flickr selection of what to show.
  6. Thank you very much, Tim. You're seeing what I see. I'm sorry it's upsetting. I like the layout.

To see an image full-screen, you click on those arrows pointing away from each other. That'll give you almost full-screen, so to get rid of the tab header, hit F11 on a PC.

I was surprised not to see my focus distance in the EXIF. My Canons show it, but I've not found it to be very accurate. I think the trip over to LR and back, to add my copyright, may have wiped some data off. I'll never understand why Adobe thinks it's okay to screw around with EXIF. I'll have to experiment by not sending an image through LR.
  7. Thanks Dieter. I was talking about the Original, full resolution file, which you're not seeing on the screen. The actual image, in most cases, is much larger than seen on Flickr, particularly landscapes. I know that anyone can steal anything that they can see.

I used to have a little app that read EXIF, where available, on most images. Alas, I changed computers and didn't reload it. You might search for "EXIF Reader." It worked on PN back then.
  8. Or just click on the image itself. The "arrows pointing away" make the magnification permanent, the image-click is only for one photo. Click again to go back to the normal size.

Jeffrey Friedl's Image Metadata Viewer by chance? I do have Phil Harvey's EXIF tools on my desktop (it's the same tool that power's the Image Metadata Viewer) but that requires downloading the image.
  9. I'm not sure, but you didn't have to download the image, you simply right-clicked.
  10. Sorry, I wasn't clear: Jeffrey Friedl's Image Metadata Viewer was a tool bar button for firefox once but now requires copying the image URL onto a webpage and unfortunately comes with a captcha too: Jeffrey Friedl's Image Metadata Viewer

Just found this Chrome extension - it allows to send an image to the Jeffrey Friedl's Image Metadata Viewer directly (via right-click):

Phil Harvey's EXIF tool is a separate program that one can install on the computer - quite useful for looking at the EXIF data of one's own files:'s also a GUI version (EXIF tool itself runs on a DOS window).

To use it on web-hosted images, of course, necessitates them to be downloaded first. Incidentally, Phil Harvey's tool is the machine behind Jeffrey Friedl's Image Metadata Viewer.