Sony A7RV- 61MP or 102MP? Best Guess?

25asa

I'd be really interested in getting the Sony A7RV if it does indeed go with their 102 MP sensor from 2019. But the latest rumours suggest it may stick with its 61MP sensor that its used in the last 2 A7R cameras- the A7R IV and A7R IVA. I'd rethink getting the Fuji GFX 100S for the time being, if they do go with the larger sensor. It would be great for getting faster action shots that the Fuji doesn't do well in, and still retain the same rez.

So what do you guys think Sony will do? I'd find it strange they'd put a third model out with the same 61MP sensor, and call it a day. Makes me wonder why Sony bothered designing the 102MP sensor, if they never end up using it.

Also what resolution would that 102MP sensor be, if it was in APS-C crop mode? Would it beat 40MP?

• 5 weeks later...
It would be great for getting faster action shots...

You think?

With 102 megapixels, the pixel spacing at the sensor would be just under 3 microns. Meaning any image that moves more than that will effectively negate the high resolution.

Therefore, if we have a subject imaged at 1/100th scale on the sensor, it only needs to move by 0.3mm during the exposure to render that 102 megapixel 'resolution' redundant. E.G. a subject moving across the frame at a leisurely 1Km/hour (0.625 MPH) will move that distance during a 1/1000th second exposure, and no amount of vibration reduction will make a jot of difference to that.

So, how good are your panning skills? How high are your expected lighting levels? And how high are you willing to push the ISO and shutter speed?

Otherwise those 100 megapixels will be completely wasted on anything approaching a 'fast' action shot.

"With great power comes great responsibility".... and with great resolution comes a great responsibility to hold still!

• Like 1

Otherwise those 100 megapixels will be completely wasted on anything approaching a 'fast' action shot.

24 MP is more than enough to plaster a full-page spread of an action shot in a newspaper. 100 MP is not excessive for fashion, products, or landscapes. ISO limits are more dependent on technology than pixel size.

• 3 weeks later...
I'd be really interested in getting the Sony A7RV if it does indeed go with their 102 MP sensor from 2019. But the latest rumours suggest it may stick with its 61MP sensor that its used in the last 2 A7R cameras- the A7R IV and A7R IVA. I'd rethink getting the Fuji GFX 100S for the time being, if they do go with the larger sensor. It would be great for getting faster action shots that the Fuji doesn't do well in, and still retain the same rez.

So what do you guys think Sony will do? I'd find it strange they'd put a third model out with the same 61MP sensor, and call it a day. Makes me wonder why Sony bothered designing the 102MP sensor, if they never end up using it.

Also what resolution would that 102MP sensor be, if it was in APS-C crop mode? Would it beat 40MP?

I think Sony has learned their lesson from the previous model. The high resolution is great, but if you’re going that high you might as well hire a HB. There are numerous ways to print 10 - 30 MP in a billboard format, so the additional resolution is largely a marketing sell (imo).

Obviously they can’t go lower. So they would probably leave it as is, with the ability switch to lossless compression and/or allow for the provision of selecting lower resolutions.

so the additional resolution is largely a marketing sell (imo).

As long as there are lenses capable of utilising them, higher resolution sensors will always be more than just marketing hype. For example, Nikon's old 55mm f/3.5 Micro-Nikkor will out-resolve a 100 Megapixel sensor. As seen in this pixel-shifted (effectively 240 Mp) highly cropped image from an A7Riv.

42621591_200lppmm.jpg.a078270e10cc97c0ed08381678e48063.jpg

200 lppmm are fairly cleanly resolved, needing a pixel spacing of 2.5 microns. This translates to just over 138 Megapixels over a 24x36mm frame size. So, wasted resolution? Not at all provided the camera and subject stay rock steady.

... with the ability switch to lossless compression..

Already available on the A7Riv. You can choose between compressed or uncompressed RAW, with compressed RAW offering about a 2:1 compression ratio.

• Like 1

As long as there are lenses capable of utilising them, higher resolution sensors will always be more than just marketing hype. For example, Nikon's old 55mm f/3.5 Micro-Nikkor will out-resolve a 100 Megapixel sensor. As seen in this pixel-shifted (effectively 240 Mp) highly cropped image from an A7Riv.

[ATTACH=full]1424509[/ATTACH]

200 lppmm are fairly cleanly resolved, needing a pixel spacing of 2.5 microns. This translates to just over 138 Megapixels over a 24x36mm frame size. So, wasted resolution? Not at all provided the camera and subject stay rock steady.

Already available on the A7Riv. You can choose between compressed or uncompressed RAW, with compressed RAW offering about a 2:1 compression ratio.

Yes good point.

Although, if you’re retouching skin the additional resolution can be a pain and it is still a little more for most jobs.