Sony A7RIV, A7RS and A9II

Mark Keefer

8K video? I'm not ready for 4Kp60 except for demonstration purposes. You get only 2.5 hours of 4K, 4,2,2 8-bit, DNxHD 220 video on a 1 TB drive. RAW video is something else indeed, at least twice the data rate you can handle on an HDMI interface, with special connectors and cables. Actually there are quite a few cameras with cinematic RAW video output, including Canon C300 (and up), Black Magic, and (naturally) Red. Still, it seems over the top for what one should expect from a part-time video camera.

Things will change, old challenges will vanish and new ones emerge. I remember paying over $1K for a 2G hard drive for editing and burning CDs about 20 years ago.

• Like 1

8K video? I'm not ready for 4Kp60 ... Still, it seems over the top for what one should expect from a part-time video camera.

I hear you. Hard to keep up. Storage is still a challenge for me. Perhaps YouTube will be doing 8K some time. Hopefully the price of very large SSD drives will drop and we can get a 100 TB SSD in our laptops sometime in the next decade. lol. But I am still seeing 250 GB and 500 GB and a couple 1 TB SSD being sold under $200. It has been like this for a number of years now. Something has to give soon.

Maybe overkill video for the average hobbyist , but it might be nice to know is there if you want to use it, :). I sure will appreciate 60 megapixel resolution for photography, but I have to say 42 megapixel is pretty good.

Cheers, Mark

YouTube apparently peaks at a bandwidth of about 16 Mb/s. All the pixels will be displayed, 4K, possibly 8K (no examples yet), but the video is compressed to stay within that bandwidth. I format my deliverables for 720p, 1080p and 4K (3840) at 6, 8, and 32 Mb/s respectively. At midwestern data rates, it can take the better part of a day to upload a couple hours of 4K. Needless to say, I don't do that often.

I just ordered a couple more Samsung 1 TB SSD's for under $130 each. That's commodity level pricing. I get the internal versions, and put them in $5 enclosures styled for use in an Atomos Ninja video recorder/monitor, with the bare connector accessible. I have a USB C reader, or simply use a USB cable with a SATA III connector at one end.

Edited by Ed_Ingold
  • Like 1