Sonnar lens for Contax

<p>What has happened to the price of the Contax fit 50mm f2 Sonnar? I have just been looking through Ebay and the cheapest I found was £200 and the dearest around £500. The last time I bought one a year or two ago I paid £60!<br>

I was thinking of replacing my old uncoated version with a coated one. That is out of the question now, I will just have to be happy with what I already have.</p>

<p>You might need to just search harder, especially outside the UK. Can't see why anyone would pay £500 for a 50/2 Sonnar when you can get the lens w/a IIIa body for just $329 (ebay item 150733705998).</p>

<p>The price of many classic RF lenses has gone up because demand has increased (unlike just a few years ago, you can now mount them on numerous mirrorless digital cameras & the Leica M9) while the supply is rather fixed.</p>

<p>Keep an eye on KEH.com over here. THey have no 50s now but will eventually and their prices are never outrageous. I just saw a Biotar 21mm f/4.5 go on eBay for over $1200 while there are two sitting on KEH for 700 and 800. (Boy would I love one of those but I'll need to inherit from relatives I don't yet know I have before I can go for one of those beauties.)</p>

All of the classic lenses seem to have gone way up in price with the availability of decent adapters to use them on Leica and mirrorless Digital cameras.

I would be looking for a camera show- I've picked up some great deals at Photorama shows. Like a 5cm f2 Tanar with a Tanack IV-S for $230 at the last one.

<p><em>What has happened to the price of the Contax fit 50mm f2 Sonnar? I have just been looking through Ebay and the cheapest I found was £200 and the dearest around £500. The last time I bought one a year or two ago I paid £60!</em><br /><em>I was thinking of replacing my old uncoated version with a coated one. That is out of the question now, I will just have to be happy with what I already have.</em><br />You are right - I bought a Contax IIa and f2 Sonnar from an "I don't know anything about cameras" seller 3 or 4 months ago for $300 - turned out the lens was perfect and so was the camera after a CLA. Prices seem to have risen dramatically since then. I have been trying to find a 1.5 Sonnar. bought one in "perfect" condition for $350, found it was full of haze and sent it back - I don't think I'll find another for a sensible price. Console yourself with a Jupiter 8 - lots about complete with (mostly) Kiev 4 cameras for about $50 from the Uktraine.</p>

<p>The prices do vary wildly, so you may just have to keep watching and pounce at the right moment. It is true to say that the Contax is enjoying a bit of a Rennaisance at the moment, and people are discovering the Sonnars and realizing that they are better than the Leitz lenses from the same period.<br>

I would persist with your uncoated sample as the Sonnars seem to retain good contrast even when not coated. This even holds true for the 1.5, which is a real testament to the design and glass quality of these early Zeiss lenses.<br>

The Jupiters are an option too, but the quality varies wildly, and I have owned some shockers!. The one that I still have on my Fed is really quite good, but don't expect Sonnar quality, even though they are supposed to be a copy.</p>