Something to keep me company while my darling is at the shop

lenore_thierry

<p>I'm looking forward to a lonely holiday. Shutters sticking open at slow speeds, winder grinding and fighting me, my M6 must go off for CLA and repair, which kills me because I've been having a hot and heavy love affair with it. The weeks ahead seem like a long winter unless I can find a distraction. Tell me what you think.<br>

Here are the parameters I have in mind:<br>

I want something cheap. Odd is fine, I don't want to replace my M. I thought of buying a body and selling it when mine came back but I think a visit to a camera of a different flavor may be fun. I'd prefer a rangfinder. Even more, I'd love a bayonet mount, at the same time a wierd Russian clone or toy may be the ticket. Got a thought?</p>

<p>This was my second impulse after I talked myself down from the credit card abuse of buying an M4, telling myself that I'd sell it when the old lady came home from the hospital. (Right. I'm sure that would have happened.)<br>

What LTM lenses would you recomend if I go this route? I shoot with a 'lux 50, would that lens (W/ conversion) work well on this body?</p>

<p>A Fed 3 is a nice cheap shooter. Screw mount though.

An Aires V system is an interesting three lens outfit. Bigger and heavier than your M6 but surprising image quality. See my post here:<br>

<a href="../classic-cameras-forum/00VaLe">http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00VaLe</a><br>

<br>

There is a minty looking outfit on "bay #370534095378     Depends what is "cheap" for you.<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

</p>

<p>Louis,<br>

Uf. Lovely, silky gorgeous shots, do you have some from the fed 3?<br>

You're right, cheap is relative. I am certainly not made of money. My camera is worth vastly more than my car, the lens and camera could make for twice the ancient jetta I drive. Not a snob, just an impulsive and impractical person. Credit abuse is the siren that sings, I come to you collectively for exotic options that may keep me from beggering myself out of longing. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Here are the parameters I have in mind:<br /> I want something cheap. Odd is fine, I don't want to replace my M. I thought of buying a body and selling it when mine came back but I think a visit to a camera of a different flavor may be fun. I'd prefer a rangfinder. ...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>How about an <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argus_C3">Argus C3 "Brick"</a>?</p>

<p>It's a fun - albeit idiosyncratic device - but takes decent images. Found mine for $15 w/case at a local flea market. I posted <a href="../classic-cameras-forum/00Zekp">this thread</a> yesterday with pics from my first roll.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>This might be the time to experiment with other camera styles or formats. My favorite camera is still the M4 bought new in 1970, but a Nikon F1 (or Nikkormat) is better for some subjects. Large format beats both for other uses. To avoid spending too much money, consider exploring pinhole photography.</p>

<p>Definitely staying in the world of 35mm film cameras. Other formats are tempting, but not where I want to go just now.<br>

Ray, I like the aesthetics of the brick. It's a funky, cool looking box and you took some nice shots with it, Argus is on the short list. <br>

Ian, you sold six leicas for the love of the Olympus? Holy smokes, that's almost a dare to get one and see what was so special. Beautiful photos, very intrigued by this one.<br>

Does anyone know of good place around San Francisco for locating and playing with old film cameras? There's always ebay, but handling something before choosing would be better. Thanks for all the suggestions!</p>

<p>Looking Glass Photo in Berkely and Camera West in Walnut Creek. Both places have on-line inventory also. Camera West might be fun for you as they carry an extensive Leica collection. I do not go into SF that much to know of any camera stores. <br />Possibly a second Leica body would be good if it fits the budget ok. I think the Walnut Creek store usually has several M3's available and they always have M6's and M7's. <br />Two of my girls Graduated from UC Berkeley so I headed out that way quite often. I even bought a Bicycle in Berkeley one time. I ride it to work every day now for the year. It's fun and I get the best parking spot at the Hospital I work at. However it's kind of hard in winter weather but I just tough it out.</p>

<p>Three beautiful cameras to consider:<br /> <strong>Voigtlander Vitomatic IIa</strong><br /> <strong>Yashica GS / GSN </strong>(overhauled only)<br /> <strong>Minolta AL-F</strong><br /> All beautiful with <strong>Voigtlander</strong> being full Manual, <strong>Yashica </strong>having (probably) the best lens and light meter and <strong>Minolta</strong> being wonderful all-around camera.</p>

Time to play with a Canonet III GL. It has a nice 40mm f1.7 lens, a meter and AE. They're reasonably

priced but you have to be careful... as much as with any type of vintage camera. Also, the Konica S2

brings back pleasant memories. It's about the same size as a Leica M, and has a nice 40mm lens (IIRC).

Both cameras can be used without batteries, completely meterless, if you want to experiment without an

on-board meter.

<p>Thank you to everyone who responded, lots of research and a trip to the camera shop for play had me settle on a mint Yashica Electro Rangefinder outfit with three clean lenses and a case for them, a finder, filters, an Argus meter, leather camera case and strap, caps for the lenses and body and a year-long waranty, all of this for a hundred bucks. Amazing! If it lives up to it's fanatical following the Leica will have some competition when it gets home:) </p>

<p>Some nice fixed lens RFs include the Konica Auto S1.6. It has the faster lens and a hot shoe. The Olympus 35SP or 35SPN. These have nice fast lenses and the neat spot metering feature, The Olympus 35RD lacks the spot metering feature but still has a fast lens. The Minolta Hi-Matic 7SII does not have the most contrasty RF but it has a sharp and fast lens and full manual settings. It's also easier to get batteries for than the Hi-Matic E. </p>