Someone knows this camera (Dan35)?

Somebody is offeringa camera I cannot find any information on the

internet. Is marked Dan 35, was made in US occupied Japan and I am

told uses non 135 rollfilm. I have not seen in person yet. From the

pictures it has a DAN Anastigmat lens f4.5 40mm.

I will apreciate if someone know something about this camera and if

it has any interest.<div>00Cgxz-24367484.jpg.e645329a9b99889f1d01182cdeeb0945.jpg</div>

<p>its actually a pricey little thing - value about $ 250 USD or so..<p>

Made by Dan Camera Works in Japan about 1950.... The founder Mr. Danji Hagimoto is known as the father of popular comedian "Kinchan" <p>

many models were made - yours is a Model I.<p>

also see<p>

http://www.usedcam.com/LeicaCopies.htm<p>

Dan<p>

<a href="http://www.antiquecameras.net">http://www.antiquecameras.net</a>

Dan, I am afraid the Dan35 camera you are describing has nothing or little to do with the one Moises mentioned in his question.

The 35mm Dan35 camera seems to be a predecessor of the Pax M1 camera. There were many name variants of Pax cameras, I am not sure whether the Dan35 is just one of them or a very early model.

Judging from the pic Moises sent and from the lens data, 'his' camera is a 3x4cm camera using 127 format rollfilm.

No need to quarrel. McKeown has the Dan 35 cameras listed under Dan Camera Co, but the 'Super Dan 35 is plainly a PAX 1 in all but name, and McKeown says so: Dan Camera Co later became Yamato, who made the Pax etc.

It's a bit of an overstatement to call the Pax a Leica copy. It only takes its styling from the Leica, and none of the technology bears comparison. However, the Dan must be rarer than the Pax (maybe one of these a week on Ebay) by a long chalk; McKeown gives prices between 250 and 750 dollars for the various models (I think I got my Pax 1 for under 20 quid). I don't see a picture, so can't say which model we're talking about, but the Pax lookalike (best prices) has an Eria 45 mm, not a Dan anastigmat (according to McKeown).

As for the film, McKeown says most of them took 'Bolta' size roll film, 35 mm wide, paper backed. The first model took 24 mm square pictures. Later models have obviously rectangular viewfinders.

So yes, it has much interest. But I'll hang onto my several hundred dollars and buy a few dozen Paxes instead! Let us know if you get it!

Dan, Winfried, Pete, thanks a lot for sharing your wisdom.

I am told the offered camera uses Bolta rollfilm, a format I dont know andI dont believe is easy to find or adapt.

I prefer to have cameras that I can use so I am not buying this camera.