Some thoughts on the A7C

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Digital Cameras' started by Karim Ghantous, Sep 15, 2020.

1. On paper you have a very good point. However, TV cameras tend to be positioned in different locations than a stills camera. Their shutter angles are also not usually optimised for stills extraction (as far as fast moving objects go). They usually shoot wider than the photographers do. They also tend to not move around a lot.

Having said that, just as DSLMs replaced DSLRs, so too will constant recording replace single frames for acquisition. So you'll have photographers but they won't necessarily be taking single frames. Already you have Olympus and Panasonic cameras with pro capture modes, which have something like a one second buffer. So it's part way between photo and video.

2. BTW. Anyone here actually own an Alpha 7c? Or have the slightest intention of buying one?
    Gee, I must have missed out! Nobody slipped in at dead of night and replaced my DSLRs with DSLMs.

And what the heck does DSLM stand for? Is it anything like a MILC?
    'Dark-Slide Loaded Mahogany camera' perhaps?

3. Digital single lens mirrorless?

4. They haven't shipped yet AFAIK. As I mentioned above, I was slightly tempted when I read the rumors - now after knowing more, my interest has dropped to zero as I can't figure out what I would actually want to use that camera for. Small and compact I have covered with the Ricoh GR - there's virtually no lens to mount on the A7c that results in a compact combo - maybe these four Samyang/Rokinon lenses qualify (18/2.8, 24/2.8, 35/2.8 and 45/1.8). Or some of the manual focus Voigtlanders - though I doubt the low magnification viewfinder is much good on helping to acquire focus. Maybe if I was into video, I could find a use for the continuous video acquisition without the need to restart after 30 minutes? I find it hard to somewhat comfortably hold the A7RIII without a grip extension in place - so why would I want something that is ever so slightly smaller with dials and buttons sacrificed in the down-scale? I imagine the camera might appeal to those moving up from the A6xxx Series by providing the same form factor one is already used to?
    Sanford answered that one. I doubt any acronym (DSLM, EVIL, MILC) will take hold - this class of interchangeable-lens cameras will forever be know for something they don't have: mirrorless.

5. There are people alive today who call radios 'the wireless'. I rather like that.

6. That acronym makes no sense at all. The whole point is that the lens is interchangeable, not single. Or to distinguish it from a digital twin-lens non-reflex that's never existed? Ridiculous!

Sanford likes this.
  7. Just to hark back to Karim's original post, he wrote of Sony's plethora of models like it was a bad thing. I think it's good for the customer. If you don't want the latest model and are happy buying used, the market is awash with Sony camera bodies, often with low shutter counts.
    I recently bought a lightly used NEX-5N for an embarrassingly low price. This is a tiny body and the trick is to find a lens that doesn't dwarf it. I am using an Industar-69 28 mm with it, and it's as small as, say, the Ricoh GR.
    Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

rodeo_joe|1 likes this.
  8. I won't disagree that it's good for the customer, although tyranny of choice is a thing.

I do strongly believe that brands with over-extended line extensions run the risk of falling behind. GM should never have made a small Buick, for example. The Nikon FM10 should never have even been conceived. Some of the low end Nikon DSLRs are degrading to the brand and what it stands for. Etc.

Apple is now extending its product lines, but they haven't effed it up so far. Except, I don't know if there should be four kinds of iPad.