Some more photographs by Al Kaplan

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter Elena named her new puppy Gabrielle after the director of the day care center she attended at Miami-Dade Community College. She's a bit over 2 years old here in 1973 and was playing in the back yard shortly after getting the dog. Elena is now a tax attorney in Atlanta. Taken with an M Leica and a 19mm f/3.5 Canon lens

There's a rock pit (man made lake) across the street from the old Florida East Coast R.R. station in North Miami a few blocks from my house. One summer the neghborhood kids, probably with some adult help, managed to get this rope tied to a high branch of a tree along the shore and for a glorious few weeks had great fun swinging on the rope and cannon balling down into the water way out from shore. Then of course safety minded adults cut down the rope, the cops kept patroling, and by the following summer a six foot chain link fence surrounded most of the lake. Again, this was the early 1970's, M Leica, not sure which lens I used.

My wife, daughter, and I spent a week at the Brighton Seminole Reservation on the south shore of Lake Okeechobee in central Florida back in the early 1970's. This is cattle country and the Indians rode horses, tended their cattle, and dressed a bit like the cowboys that they were. We stayed with Janice and John Wayne Huff (his real name!).

Janice was the older sister of Robert, Donna and Spencer Tiger that appeared in an earlier thread about the Miccosukee Indians. Leica M photo, don't remember the lens.

All three are very nice indeed. I think that picture of the rope swing brings back memories for everyone. I don't think the timing or composition could be any better! Thanks for showing them.

A little heavy-handed on the moderation, eh? Or is there a force field around Al that I can't see?

Here is what I said before my comment was zapped. Not a single one of these is in clear focus. All three are murky, ie., the tonal range is poor. At least one shows obvious dodging/burning. 30 seconds of Photoshop could fix points 2 and 3. A camera that allowed one to focus accurately could have fixed point 1. What is wrong with saying that?

It's really not that important. I think it's nice to see Al's photos posted. If they're flawed in some way and you can offer constructive critisism, fine. Just think how much his scans will improve over time as he becomes more comfortable with the technology?

Backups? We don’t need no stinking ba #.’  _ ,    J

Sorry Tony, but as usual, Al's stories about his pictures are better than the pictures.

And the reason Al gets so much of this is that so many of his posts are busy telling other people how to shoot, (the old ways are best; fiber paper is a real print; digital is junk) so what goes around comes around, I'd say.

I like the mood of the first shot. There was a 'decisive moment' in the second, I'd guess, but Al missed it. The third is run of the mill. They all suffer from poor scanning and preparation for web display, which is the common ground we all must learn to deal with.

<i>Not a single one of these is in clear focus. All three are murky, ie., the tonal range is poor. At least one shows obvious dodging/burning.</i>

<p>

Can we assume, AK, that your criteria for a good photo are razor sharpness, nice tones and no post-production work?