them and feels they are making very positive forward steps. Maybe

they aren't dead yet!!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well Grant, if "not full frame" is the major determinant than there aren't many worthwhile digital SLR's out there either. If the sensor will work OK using my 21/3.4 S.A. and 15/4.5 Heliar I can live with the reduced format. Full frame the 15 is a fun lens but the 21 is more all around useful optic. The 15's coverage on the reduced size sensor is pretty close to what the 21 puts on the film frame.

This is interesting news, Bob. When I spoke to the Leica reps in Osaka a few weeks ago

they said that they were going to wait until Photokina 2006 to formally introduce the

digital M. That would be toward the end of the year. If they are aiming for summer, 2006

that is good news indeed.

What I got was that the digital M prototype already exists. As I write Leica is presumably

testing it.

The digital M is apparently going to sell for 4000 euros. That means around $5000 to

$6000 at the current overpriced euro rate.

Wonder if Leica gives educational discounts...

If they're targeting at sometime in mid 2006 then they should announce the product at PMA just around the corner in Feb ... I can live with a 1.33x cropping factor as rumoured - a 21 still covers a FOV of 28, which is good enough to me. But I agree, that could be a good excuse for both camps ... LOL

Actually G4, it's not that senseless. The reason most camera companies have gone with the smaller sensors has nothing to do with cost (what many people assume) or difficulty making them, but with edge sharpness. To be 'sharp' a pixel well (where the pixel resides) needs the light to enter at a perpendicular angle. If the light enters at less than a perpendicular angle you have sharpness problems. So standard and telephoto lenses tend to be sharp, whereas wideangles, where the rear element is closer to the film/sensor plane (meaning the light exits the rear element and 'bends' to hit the film/sensor plane) have sharpness issues at the edges. Lens manufacturers have tried to get around this with new optical designs, but these cannot be used on full frame sensors, in effect using only the 'sweet spot' of the light exiting the rear element. I don't think Leica users would stand for soft corners, nor are they going to buy two different series of lenses, one for their film cameras, another for the digital. And before anyone gets on my case, these are very minor sharpness issues that probably only the camera/lens makers are really concerned about...so no snarky replies about how you've never noticed any unsharpness in your 20d...

Grant, of course I know that! Designing lenses for an SLR is easier because they sit way out from the plane of focus, with a relatively steep angle of incidence. I don't think that rangefinder traditionalists would be happy buying all new wide angle glass and putting up with the size of complete retrofocus designs.

Some might, Grant. Some won't. A lot of pros working for the media today lose out on work if they're not digital. There's still a major difference in handling an M body with one of our crummy ol' wide angles compared to the typical pro digital SLR and it's oversized zoom.

Eric ~, I'm trying to retire, I'm still getting assignments, and I'm selling prints. Why should I go out and spend a fortune on a new system than I neither need nor want? A single camera body? Not such a big deal. Maybe I'll unload one or two of my other M bodies. Maybe not.

Jeepers, Eric ~, you don't slack off, do you? I'm not trolling the digital forum. I can also afford to give photonet $25 but you keep avoiding that. Yup, I got me a Bessa L and I know there's a digital Bessa out there. I also know about build quality of my Leicas and of my Bessa. When somebody is paying me to shoot I want as close to 100% reliability as I can get. I have confidence in Leica's products. I'll take the Bessa body with me on a paid shoot but I always have an LTM/M adapter handy in case I need to stick the 15 on a Leica. Next time I reply to you will be when I see the "hand bearing gift" next to your name.

With any luck, Leica will do what Canon hasn't, and that's make fast, wide prime lenses for

whatever sensor crop the Digital M ends up using.

The 24mm Asph Elmarit would make for a slow, very expensive 35mm-ish lens, for example.

Kinda defeats the purpose of using the M system, to me.