Some constructive feedback please.

robertfarnham

So far I've learned most of what I know about technique from reading

the wise remarks of people like Ellis V., Kevin K. and Todd F. I just

wanted to thank you all. (Still a ton to learn but I'm slowly

absorbing information)

Now I'm hoping forum participants will give me some feedback in words

rather than useless, wordless ratings. This is my latest post.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo.tcl?photo_id=1970384

Hi Robert, of course this art is subjective, and of course opinions turn into flame wars, but constructively for this shot, I would of recommended a little bounce from your key light, maybe a softer source as well, and astia if you want E6, as Provia can be a little relentless on skin tones. But good work man!

This may not be useful, but your model doesn't appear at ease to me. I think it is because of the way her shoulders are hunching forward. As if she's trying to minimize herself to avoid being noticed.

<p>

As for the lighting, it doesn't bother me that the right side of her body gets lost into the dark, but losing her hair and shadowing her eye doesn't work here.

<p>

Compared to <a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/1213066">this</a> photo of yours where the eye still catches the right amount of light. Plus, you appear to be actively playing with the idea of framing so losing portions of the model works well.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I knew there would be a reaction to the high contrast - totally subjective, true - but I kind of like it. Soon I'll be posting some more of her with much more even lighting. Regarding the film, I got a bit carried away on ebay a while ago and bought a little over a truckload of Provia (anybody want to buy some off me?). Great grain but nasty blue cast on people for sure, which I try to correct with PS. I used some new Astia in 4x5 in the same shoot - needless to say I've found my new favourite film.

Here's what I said on your critique page <i>"The light on your friend is perfect, in quality and placement. If you want to show the shape of her right (our left) side without adding more light on her, try a dim light on the background on her shadow side"</i> <p>I think "even" light is boring (but good in a hospital operating room :^), and I like dark backgrounds for light toned people, especially when the other colors are so rich (like this red). <p>I would like to have seen her hands in this shot, and the pose is a little too reminiscent of the breast enhancing "I've got to pee" pose that is popular with magazine cover illustration (gives plenty of space at the top of the page for text).<p> Oh and if you're getting exessive blue in Provia, try a test by submitting two trans to two different labs before giving it up, it could be a miscalculation with their sodium hydroxide... t