Some Canonet QL17 shots

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by ben_johnson|3, Jan 23, 2005.

1. I realize that the Canonet QL17 G-III is a year or two too young to be a classic by this forum's definitions, but I figure that it's close enough. These cameras get a lot of hype and prices are rising, and I figure that it's for good reason. It's becoming the camera that lives in my bag that I carry everywhere. I put a roll of Fuji Superia 800 through it recently and was really pleased with the results. I'm posting a few here. All are scanned at the time of processing on a Fuji Frontier and are untouched in photoshop. Cheers.
    00AszO-21517484.jpg

2. Another one.
    00AszQ-21517584.jpg

3. And one more. Dads take their daughters to hockey.
    00AszV-21517684.jpg

4. Those are all pretty smooth, but the last one seems really extraordinary in regard to color and grain for 800 speed film. Neat stuff.

5. I really like the 2nd one, Ben.

6. Apart from the good shots you made, which is obvious, the good performance of Canon lenses is undoubted. The 40mm f/1.7. 6-element 4-group construction is one of the best (to me).
    Keep the camera and keep that good photogtaphic taste.

7. Thanks for your comments, everyone! I'm finding it hard to find faults with this camera. The only shortcomings I see are the short rangefinder base and fixed lens. The fixed lens, however, means that it has a leaf shutter, which is super-quiet and low-vibration, and allows flash sync at any speed.

I should buy another one...

8. Hi Ben,

Thanks a lot. I only just got over my insane craving for a big bowl of Malaysian Laksa (utterly unavailable here in Italy), and now you've put it right back on my palette again! I am deeply envious.

Nice shots. I'm fascinated by those QL17's.

cheers,
    Kai

9. The QL17 is my favorite camera. It is quieter and more vibration free than any Leica (blasphmy)with its leaf shutter. Looks like you got a good one. Have fun.