Some bargains I got recently

dennisgg

<p>I shoot with alot of adapted lenses for my 7D. I was in Canton, OH and stopped into Vanns camera shop. I was checking out the used lenses. They had a Nikkor 35-135mm for $150 (I'n like really - $150!) and low and behold was a pristine Lester A. Dine 105mm f2.8 macro in Nikon mount for $25, I asked if that was correct and bought it quickly! I thought it was very funny that the Lester A. Dine was worth alot more than the Nikkor and was only $25!<br>

Then I just won a Lensbaby Control Freak in EOS mount on ebay for $141 shipped! </p>

<p>What's the big deal about the Kiron lens? Never heard of it. There are (apparently) so many "unknown classic" lenses when reading online. Is it better than Leica 100m APO macro Elmarit etc etc. Depending who you read, every lens appears to be a "classic" to someone.</p>
Robin Smith

<p><strong>Robin</strong>- There is simply too much bandwidth on the internet about this lens to point you to anything specific. A Google search will bring hours of reading pleasure. However, I can link you to some picture I have posted here that I made with mine: <br>

<a href="../canon-fd-camera-forum/00UeVf">http://www.photo.net/canon-fd-camera-forum/00UeVf</a><br>

Exceptional build quality(and heavy), precision focusing, biting sharpness and creamy bokeh. The Lester Dine model is the same as the Kiron model that was marketed specifically for dental/medical photography. They go between $200-300 US.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Exactly... I see these strange nouns in the EOS forum and my eyes glaze over... "Elmarit, Kiron, Leica, Dine..." It's bad enough we have to deal with that well know flop, the 7D.</p>

<p>Ken, why do you claim the 7D to be a flop? I see the 7D as a high-quality camera and used by many wedding photographers.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Mark</p>

<p>Well, excuse me for existing. <em>You</em> may know all about the "legendary" Kiron, but there are, no doubt, many millions of us who don't. The internet is full of stuff. I am not chastened to not know about the lens. I have owned a couple of Kiron lenses in the distant past - nice build quality but nothing earth-shattering performance-wise. Maybe this one is different, however there are legions of really excellent macro lenses out there, old and new.</p>

Robin Smith

<p>Mark,</p>

<p>Ditto what Robin said. I think your humor meter is permanently turned off. Nice gallery & portfolio BTW. All with that Kiron?<br /> Cheers! Please get informed in the comedic arena, we do appreciate it, and your expertise. <br /> -KP</p>

<p>The Kiron is a vintage lens long out of the limelight so it's not unusual for folks not to know about it. It first gained notoriety in the scientific imaging community and gained more widespread general use after it was given the moniker "Cult Classic" by Robert Monaghan from his early Third Party Lens review site years ago. Part of it's popularity was it's price/performance ratio. From early B-Boards to the modern web, photographers reporting successful results with it have spread very wide. Such is the genesis of a legend. There are certainly many superb modern macro lenses but the Kiron is still a good performer and has found a niche in optical lore.</p>

<p>Apparently the camera store owner never heard of it either given what Dennis paid for it. I just looked on the auction site and Nikon mount examples are going for around $400. Snagging one for $25 a great deal by any measure. Your a lucky guy! Enjoy it!</p>

<p>Louis,</p>

<p>Thanks. One of my points is that every lens seems to be a "cult classic", however I think you are correct that its appeal was indeed its excellent price/performance ratio - clearly this generally no longer exists going by ebay, although it did for Dennis. $25 is indeed a bargain for any decent lens.</p>

Robin Smith

• 5 weeks later...
<p>Hi Ken - I'm surprised you never heard of that Kiron before...it often comes up on PN when people are talking about manual focus macro lenses - sometimes with the Dine, Vivitar or Kiron moniker (it was sold under various names)...they frequently show up on Ebay for around $350-$400, depending on condition and lens mount. I've got one in a Canon FD mount and admit to it being a stellar performer, probably better than the owning photographer. But anyway, at $25 it was an incredible steal, especially in the Nikon mount, as those usually command a premium.</p>