Solar Eclipse safety glasses, a must have

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by dan_stoicheff|3, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Best Buy sells them. $9.99

Monday, August 21, 2017

Total eclipse in certain range of states onky.

Mreclipse.com site has tons of tech info.

Never point a camera directly into the sun!

2. Many libraries will have solar glasses available. Check Registered Libraries Map

The partial eclipse phases will require the special solar glasses or other safe filter if you want to look at the sun directly. During the two and a half minutes or so of totality the glasses are not needed.

3. If you can't find them there is an alternative.
    Project the image on to a white-painted metal sheet & view the image with regular sunglasses.
    Pointing most cameras at the sun directly will wreck them.

4. Don't use homemade filters! Even though the smoked glass or overexposed negatives might reduce the sun's light to a comfortable level, they will very likely pass harmful levels of infrared and ultraviolet. If your TV remote operates through a filter, then it is passing infrared.

chazfenn and Supriyo like this.
  5. True
    True Silver b&w film blocks infrared and UV. Considering how cheap real filters are, it is best though to go in that direction.

6. Unfortunately, there is a recent flood of counterfeit solar glasses on the market that do not meet ISO standards,
    Solar-eclipse fever means counterfeit glasses are flooding Amazon's market
    This has me wondering about the $1.99 glasses that I purchased at the local grocery store with no manufacturing markings.
    I will look for a more reputable source that is ISO traceable.

7. At least here, one of the local TV stations is giving them away. Considering how many segments they've had on safe viewing and such, I'd like to think they would give away appropriate ones.

Among other things, they've said that with "correct" solar glasses you shouldn't be able to see anything BUT the sun and that you should be able to view it comfortably.

If nothing else, at least places like B&H seem to have plenty of both glasses and simple lens filters that hopefully will also be safe.

8. I still have mine from the last time it was in Europe.
    Hope the weather is clear for all of you.

9. "simple lens filters that hopefully will also be safe."
    Somehow that doesn't inspire me.:eek:
    After all you are staring directly into a very large, unshielded nuclear fission/fusion hybrid furnace.

10. And as the eclipse approaches proper solar filters are selling out which encourages some viewers to take shortcuts which may not offer protection. A number 14 welders glass is supposed to be safe, but the ones that automatically darken are not. However, not too many of us have a welders glass on hand. There are a number of projection/reflection viewing setups that are safe, inexpensive, and allow many people to view at once. A quick search of internet will reveal multiple plans for these viewers.

11. Actually nuclear reaction is insulated by over 500,000 KM (326,000 miles) of non-fusile material between the reaction core and the surface. Most of the hard radiation the sun emits is due to electromagnetic acceleration of ionized gas and subsequent collisions in the corona. The energy released in the core has a surprisingly low density, comparable to a compost heap. It starts hot and stays hot due to the excellent insulation of the outer layers. It takes approximately 30,000,000 years for photons in the core to reach the surface, and up to 300,000 years for heat by conduction and convection..

Sun - Wikipedia

The most dangerous aspect of looking directly at the sun is radiation you cannot see - ultraviolet and infrared. Energy density at the earth's surface is about 1000 cal/m^2;hour, or about twice the energy you expend walking 10 miles. On the other hand, we are fragile creatures, lucky to have survived the amoeba stage.

My glasses are ISO certified, from a reliable vendor (Meade, B&H),

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  12. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member