Software to Age People Digitally in Photographs

I think you should ask the police or someone in Hollywood if you want automated software. Whatever you find, I bet it will be expensive. Although I have never tried, I could probably simulate it in Photoshop by using:

<ul>

<li><b>Transform</b>: To change the bone structure.

<li><b>Texture/bump mapping</b>: To wrinkle the skin.

<li><b>Hue/saturation</b>: To moderate the "vitality".

</ul>

Emre,

These might be reasonable suggestions, except that effects tend to be applied indicriminately. Thus you would end up with wrinkly eyeballs etc. I think you would need to hand 'paint' the images, and with considerable skill, to achieve a remotely plausible result. As to whether this might resemble how a given person might age in actuality, that is a matter of conjecture at best. Todd might be interested in reviewing films such as "Little Big Man" and the "Golden Years" miniseries for some insights.

From one website:

"The artist then takes into consideration all the variables involved with the natural process of the aging of the human face. Information is gathered on the suspect or victim, such as: lifestyle, genetics (for weight considerations) and hair loss, occupations, etc. By utilizing all this information, the artist can produce an educated estimation on how the individual should look. When doing age-progressions with the computer, programs like PhotoShop are used to paint directly on a digitized photograph of the suspect."

From another website:

"I often get e-mails inquiring about software into which one can put a photograph and have it automatically turned into an age-progressed portrait. There is no such software. I am a classically trained artist with an ability to observe and portray faces which I have been using professionally for over 45 years. I have also studied physical anthropology which allows me to do a forensic analysis of the structure of a face and understand how age changes it. As source material for my age-progressed and age regressed portraits, I would like to have pictures of the subject matched with pictures of the subject's relatives at the same age, and those relatives at the target age for the subject's portrait. "

In other words, it doesn't sound promising. Go to Yahoo or Google, do a search for "Age Progression" and you should find several links.

I'm not aware of any software that does this, at least none that are commercially available. Such software is usually really specialized. At the Ontario Science Centre, there is an exhibit where you have your photo taken (works best for kids 8-12 years old) and with the help of a supercomputer and special software (still takes 3 mins to process though) it shows you a series of progressive images whereby your facial structure and features are morphed according to data collected from research. There's always a lineup for that booth, although it always makes everyone look hideous.

• 11 months later...