Softening Nylon Webbing

jay_chadney

There is no proper place to post this, and since I the nylon webbing is

attached to a Leica camera, here it goes:

I have 2 Domke neck straps (one brown/one black). I am using them both on 2

different cameras. One has very slick, supple strap webbing on the thin length

that is closest to the camera. The other has stiffer webbing. The stiffer one

doesn't drape, and sometimes it will poke me in the eye when I raise the

camera up. Is there any way to make the stiffer webbing softer/more flexible?

I soaked it in 190 degree water for 20 minutes or so - no change.

I wonder if anyone in here has a solution, or is bothered by the same problem.

Don't get all mad at me for such a trivial question, but if I poke my eye out,

it may have far reaching ramifications.

Thanks,

Jay

I have an assortment of fabric straps. The softest ones seem to be Nikon, but they've been in use probably 25 years (on Leicas). The CL strap by Leica is the stiffest. The Bessa straps and a couple of no-name straps are in between. It'll probably get softer with age and use. Did you try using a fabric softener?

After many years of wrestling with straps of leather, webbing, metal, and various other materials and combinations therof I have settled on 1" wide grosgrain ribbon as the most practical material for my needs. It is adequate in strength, pliable, and doesn't bulk-up or chafe. Neither is it clumsy when stuffed into a gadget bag along with its camera or accessory. If anyone is interested I can provide a sketch showing how to rig the strap to make its length adjustable for comfort and utility.

The accessory Voigtlander straps that Stephen Gandy at Cameraquest sells are quite nice,

softer than a Domke strap, but not length adjustable. It almost feels like soft cotton and has

a suede-like non-slip pad at the shoulder. I imagine that Rick Pinto at Photo Village would

have them also. BTW, I think this is a different strap than the standard Bessa strap that

comes with the cameras.

"Is there any way to make the stiffer webbing softer/more flexible? I soaked it in 190 degree water for 20 minutes or so - no change."

Try soaking it in chicken stock and give it to the dog. Oh yea, if he's given to burying bones in the backyard, you might want to take the strap off the camera first :-)

Fabric softener, followed by a cycle in the washer did nothing. I realize part of the problem is the leather piece I have there to "protect" the camera body from rubs. It doesn't allow the o-ring to fall freely to the side of the camera. When the o-ring stops at horizontal, then so does the first few inches of strap.

I took the leather piece off, and the only place the metal ring could contact the body is when the strap is at a right angle to the body, and the tinist bit of ring can touch. Other than that, the strap itself acts as a bumper for the o-ring.

Is it really necessary to bumper the o-ring? I mean, when being carriend around, the ring can't touch the body.

Jay

The strap itself, any strap, will eventually make rub marks in the chrome, which is why some people want a piece of protective leather there between the strap and the body. The rings will also cause wear in the camera's attachment lugs. I've seen people using a length of leather shoe lace to attach the camera to the strap to avoid that from happening.