Soft Focus

ds_meador

<p>In about 2 months I will be visiting my parents. I'll be taking a Canon XSI. I want to get candid portraits and maybe some posed ambient light shots too, though I am very much an amateur. At my parents ages, I would like to be able to get soft focus shots. I don't have post processing software at this time, so I was wondering if anyone would advise using softening filters for this situation? If so, which ones are best for this application? Are there any other tips that I should know about for this situation that will help me out?<br>

Thank you in advance for you insights and time.<br>

DS Meador</p>

<p>Put a piece of pantyhose over the lens. A little bit of Vaseline smeared on the lens will soften it. I used a Cokin filter, 84 I think, in my studio. A cokin filter set is easy to use. An adapter screws into the lens filter threads and then you mount different sqare filters on the adapter. Shoot the flash through a hanging bedsheet. Try and get it off camera on a stand or a table. Canon makes an off camera cord. Try some of these before you actually go. If you use external flash, bounce it off a white wall or ceiling. On camera flash is pretty harsh and you can't bounce it. I wouldn't use it. </p>

<p>Canon softmat 58mm #1 filter will fit the kit lens, 50/1.4mm and 85/1.8mm just fine. #2 is stronger but may be too soft. Result I found OK but price is a lot less then Zeiss' softar. It adds a fair amount soft light flare arround and don't smug the image like some do. </p>

<p><a href="http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=searchresults&searchinfo=canon%20softmat%2058mm">http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=searchresults&searchinfo=canon%20softmat%2058mm</a></p>

<p>Dick's idea of pantyhose will certainly work and is definitely the cheapest, but it needs to be stretched <em>tightly</em> over the lens and held in place with a rubber band. But if you're wanting an actual filter my favorite soft focus one is the Duto made by Hoya. With it the image still looks sharp but it adds a soft focus glow to everything without being too heavy handed.</p>