SoCal Exhibits

spanky

<p>Here are a couple of exhibits openeing soon that may be of interest to those of us regulars in this fourum.<br>

First up is the first ever solo exhibit in LA for Daido Moriyama at LACMA from 4-7-12 to 7-13-12. This exhibit will include much of his well known works as well as some recent color work. Moriyama will also be giving a talk at the museum on 4-7.</p>

<p>At MOPA in San Diego there will be The Jazz Loft Project from W. Eugene Smith. It runs 5-19-12 to 10-7-12. <br>

I have this book so I imagine it will include many of the street scenes Smith took photos of from his loft window.</p>

<p>A quick update. I went to see the exhibit and I also attended the talk he gave. I was a bit dissapointed in the exhibit. There were only 26 prints from his early years and 18 color inkjet prints that quite honestly I thought was below par for him. They looked like something Eggleston would do only Eggleston would do it better. So it was far smaller then I thought it would have been. Furthermore, the inkjet prints were simply tacked to the wall, not even framed, like they included them as an afterthought. I thought Moriyama deserved better. There is currently a Robert Adams exhibit at LACMA as well, and this is a huge exhibit. I would have rather the Adams exhibit be downsized (after so many pictures of trees and dirt roads, they all began to look the same) and the Moriyama show be given this huge multi-room show. Oh well, not all is lost, currently at Stephen Cohen Gallery is a Moriyama show. This is located on Beverly if I remember correctly, so if you go LACMA, leave time to go to here as well.<br>

As for the talk, it was interesting, although very crowded and no air conditioning. I never knew Moriyama was still publishing work in a magazine format titled "Record". I have to admit I never really was a big fan of his work, but what little I saw in these issues going for $40 each (!) really got my attention so I hope to find some of these online being that I would rather spend $40 on film instead.<br>

I've never heard of R. Diebenkorn Ray, so I'll have look see, thanks.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>These are some upcoming L.A. exhibits that I'm excited to see. The Julie Blackmon exhibit looks really interesting, but it ends tomorrow (April 14, 2012).</p>

<p>Julie Blackmon, <em>New Work</em>; Fahey/Klein Gallery; March 8-April 14, 2012.<br>

Herb Ritts, <em>L.A. Style</em>; Getty Center, West Pavillion; April 23-August 26, 2012.<br>

Sylvie Blum, <em>Naked Beauty</em>; Fahey/Klein Gallery; April 26-June 2, 2012.</p>