So I just heard about monobaths and I'm impressed

The FPP released their own monobath last week:

Darkroom Supplies - FPP Super Monobath BW Developer (1 Liter)

This is by no means a panacea, and certainly not a new thing. But it got me curious because b&w processing became easier and simpler, at least for casual shooters or those who just got into b&w film. So, what do you folks think? Would you use it?

A monobath relies on the developer being faster in action than the fixer component. Energetic developers tend to give coarser grain and more contrast than slower-working developers. Therefore all monobaths give inferior image quality compared to a conventional developer, and the fixing action may also be inferior WRT archival permanence.

Developer and fixer also do not play nicely in the same solution, so economy of use is compromised.

If monobaths had no drawbacks, they'd be the norm. They do, and they're not!

"A monobath is a developing solution that contains developer, stop bath and fixer all in one solution"

- That's a lie. There's no acid stop bath incorporated. And I'd question their claims about archival quality.

This is obviously a product aimed at the lazy, who just want to 'dabble' with film with the least effort.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1
  • Like 2

"Lots of self-righteous judgmentalism going on here about how other people should act!"

- Not at all. Just trying to balance the very one-sided hype put out by FPP. With their transparent agenda of making film-processing appear more simple and appealing in order to increase their market. Even if that gives sub-optimal results.

• Like 1

With something like this if you are interested, you try it. If it works for you, it is good.

Nothing is so enlightening and liberating as finding what you thought was "good enough for you" isn't......

Facts are useful in judgement.

Edited by Moving On
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't do film anymore, but have for many, MANY years! I wouldn't use monobaths for a variety of reasons, some of which are:

1) I usually would pair a developer with a specific film/purpose

2) I wanted to be in total control of dev. time, dilution, etc..

3) I wanted to be in control of stop bath and fixing bath type, duration, etc...

4) If I wanted to push or pull a film I couldn't do it without a dedicated developer mixed for that purpose.

The "fun" of doing film was being able to have control by choosing chemicals/film combination to achieve different results and effects. If one wants convenience and it comes at the loss of control, IMO it's not worth it.

I have to admit to some skepticism on this also.

20 years ago, I could see newspaper photographers snapping it up for the times when they had to deliver a usable image as quicky as possible. Sometime around 1999 when the Nikon D1 and other practical DSLRs came out, that use went away pretty quickly.

• 8 months later...
I bought a bottle out of curiosity. I thought I followed the time/temp/agitation instructions very carefully, but I came out with underfixed film. The most likely explanation is certainly "user error," but I am satisfied with separate solutions. One very tiny datapoint, your mileage may vary, close cover before striking.

I bought a bottle out of curiosity. I thought I followed the time/temp/agitation instructions very carefully, but I came out with underfixed film. The most likely explanation is certainly "user error," but I am satisfied with separate solutions. One very tiny datapoint, your mileage may vary, close cover before striking.

Don't sell yourself short--I have developed thousands of sheets of 4x5 and rolls of 35 and 120 B&W conventionally with almost perfect results; my limited experience with mono baths has been very poor.

I mostly do film photography for fun (well, digital, too).

Trying out monobath would be fun.

But it is obviously a compromise. The fixer will start working before the developer is done, so at least

some developable grains won't be developed.

So, you either get lower speed than normal, or push effects to get back to box speed.

As my mom used to say at the grocery store: try anything once.

For most of my film photography life, I have been using Diafine. That makes four solutions

(including the water rinse for stop bath), but no worry about time, and minimal worry about

temperature.

There was one many years ago (maybe 1960's) in popular science that developed 35mm

film (probably 20 exposure rolls) in the cartridge. The cartridge went into a little tank that had

a knob to turn the spool. As well as I know, you turn the spool to get solution to move into

the cartridge and around the film. Seems likely to get scratched or otherwise cause

problems with the film, but simplifies the processing even more.

-- glen

The monobath gained popularity in situations where rapid access to the images was vital. We are talking X-Ray processing machines in hospitals and dental offices etc. Some other applications were machine-processed microfilms, and specialized motion picture processes employing a procedure known as diffusion transfer. Monobath developers were also bottled and sold in camera shops for use in home darkrooms.

This single solution method relies on the fact that developing and fixing can proceed at different rates. Concentrated hydroquinone is a developer that works quickly. A restrainer is included to restrict interaction with the fixer. Potassium alum is added to harden the film. This is used to adjust infusion time, which controls the speed solution as it enters and exits the emulsion.

The bad news is -- monobaths generally cause a speed loss (ISO decrease) plus they elevate the film’s fog level. This higher fog level reduces contrast. In short, the monobath delivers a substandard negative. Things that modify the process have both pluses and minuses; we use them when the good outweighs the bad.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stand and Diafine are two ways to make a compensating developer.

That is, one that will develop the shadows long enough, without overdeveloping the highlights.

I learned about Diafine from my grandfather 50 years ago, and thought it was amazing.

That it allows a much higher EI, which I completely believed at the time.

On the other hand, I did read about monobath in Popular Science many years ago, and never

got interested in it. If I found a bottle of one in a store, I might have, though.

-- glen