snowstorm on scanned b/w neg image

<p>Hi, I've noticed on several films that I have developed in recent months a speckled snow storm effect on many of my images. It almost looks like the neg is very dusty ,but they're not.I use HP5 and FP4 either with ilfosol 3 1:9 or Rodial 1:50.<br>

I scan them on a EPSOM 4490 into my mac. IPHOTO.<br>

I'm not sure if its my developing technique or the scan. It is not present on all scans. i scan 120 velvia and that's ok.</p><div>00dwEJ-563025084.thumb.jpg.8a3070f4417e5a57b5708f857bf871c7.jpg</div>

<p>Turn off the IR dust and scratch remover if you have it on. It sometimes sees the opaque metallic silver in B&W film grain as dust and 'removes' it. This also applies to Kodachrome transparencies.<br>

Velvia is dye-based negative film and IR transparent, so the dust remover only removes dust and scratches, not image information from those types of films.</p>

<p>If it's not on the film ( and you've definitely made sure the negatives are clean), then it must be on/in the scanner. You seem to have ignored Bob Tilden's point about the scratch remover thingy.<br>

So, my suspicions aren't confirmed at all, as I think it's the scanner!<br>

Andy.</p>

<p>I've recently had the same problem with a roll of Ilford FP4+ developed in HC-110 and OLD Ilford Rapid fix.<br>

I have been filtering my fixer after use but this batch was about 4 months old and had fixed 7 films from a litre of working solution.<br>

My snowstorm was just like yours. There is , however, help to correct this after scanning if you have a copy of Polaroid Dust and Scratch removal software for Windows. A few years ago this was freely available as pdsr1_0.exe, 1608KB. I don't use it often as it can be a bit savage and needs very fine tuning when you setup the parameters to create the mask for the cleanup. I don't know of any equivalent software for the Mac.</p>

<p>And now let's try the first image. This one is trickier as there is a lot of fine detail in the texture on the block wall behind the cars which I want to preserve. If you apply the cleanup too agressively then PSDR will ' eat' the fine details in the image and sometimes leave behind ugly looking doughnut shaped artifacts - little white rings.</p>

<p>Wow Martin, that's impressive, I've just developed a 120 FP4 with Rodinal 1:50 dil and fresh Ilford and scanned it and this is much better. There's limited editing on iPhoto so blemish removal is a bit basic. I'll try and fins something mac-compatible.<br /> Anyway, thanks for advice, I'm going to use fresh fix for the next few rolls to make sure. I'd never of thought of old fix contaminating the emulsion.</p>