Snowflakes pattern inside the lens

edwardchen

<p>I found weird irregular snowflake patterns (around 5 mm or 1/4" in diameter) inside 3 of my lenses: 50/1.4D, 35/1.8DX, and 17-35/2.8.<br>

The pattern looks something like this:<br>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71068565@N00/5234492907/<br>

I can see them clearly from behind the lens directing to lens to the light source.<br>

Has anyone had the same problem?<br>

None of this patterns visible in the photos.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If they look like spider webs, then the lenses have fungus growing in them. In the early stages, it can be cleaned off pretty easily, left untreated, the fungus will eventually "etch" the glass. Early on, there will be minimal visible effect on your images, later it will rob sharpness & contrast..</p>

<p>Looks like separation of the elements but since you have 3 lenses with the problem and live in Indonesia, I'd say you have a fungus problem. You should quarantine those lenses until you can get them cleaned, and look for a drying cabinet or someplace dry to store your lenses in the future. Don't take too long to get the lenses cleaned, after a while the glass will get etched and will be permanently damaged.</p>

<p>Leave the lens caps off and place them on a window sill where they will get plenty of sunlight. Fungus likes darkness and will die in the light. Like James said, hopefully you've caught it early before the fungus will etch permanently into the glass and ruin the element.</p>

<p>It sounds like fungus. If they are part of the back group of elements, you may be able to remove them and take the fungus off yourself. I did that with a used 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor I got on Fleabay. I removed the group, located the elements that had fungus on them and then used a cotton swab soaked in acetone and gently removed the fungus. I then made sure the elements were free of dust, screwed them back in place and remounted the lens mount to the body. I have not had any problems since I did that about 6 years ago.</p>

<p>Of course the only way to completely prevent the fungus from returning or showing up on other elements, is to store them in a dry place.</p>