Snowboard photography lenses

jayhai

I have an opportunity to make some money taking some snowboarding pictures this

winter. I am in search of lenses that I can use at the snow and for everything in between. I

own a 20d, a 50mm 1.4 and a sigma 24-70 2.8. I am interested in getting a walk around

lens also. But My question is regarding lenses for the snow. I want to to know about wide

angle lenses. Will a wide angle lens that would stretch the lines like the sigma 10-20 take

snowboard photos? Or do I need the bending of fisheye? about fisheye. Would 8mm

peleng be ok for the action or do i need AF. Basicaly if you were in my position or you

know any thing about snowboard or skateboard photography, could you recommend the

perfect arsonal of lenses I would need to create quality images for professionals, or to get

published. I know that is a lot, but anything will help thanks. ( also what about zoom ?)

I shoot snow pics using a 20d, and a 15mm sigma fisheye and have shot with an 8mm sigma before shooting skate and some snow pics. What I think, is that the 8mm is too much for snow unless shooting pipe or similar, or super close to rails. For the amount of money that you would spend on a decent 8mm ( i dont know about peleng or their compatibility to the 20d) you would be worth getting the 15mm, or even better the specifically designed ef-s 10-22 canon although that is expenny. Another buddy of mine shoots with a canon 14mm aspherical, eliminating the bow of the fish eye, but I dont think is too evident when shooting with the digi. There is a difference in the field of view between the 15mm and the stock 18-55 that comes in the 20d package, but the quality difference between the two lenses is ridiculous. I cant use the 18-55 anymore, and am shopping for a quality lens of the same focal length. I also shoot with a 70-200 Canon L series lens, which a pro snow photographer I know ( who also recommended the 15mm sigma) called 'the moneymaker'. Hope this helps. . . . read my post and return the favor if you can! Kyle

Tim, I have shot snowboarding professionally for some years and the shots that usually sell for me are either shot w/ my 15mm or my 24mm prime lenses. With the 15mm you don't usually need the auto focus mode as everything outside of a foot or so is in focus. This has been the case w/ both film and digital and come to think of it, is has also been the case w/ my skateboarding shots. This is assuming that you are shooting in a park or pipe setting. For general mountain shooting your 24-70 2.8 should work and if you do much backcountry, I would suggest a 70-200 or 70-300 and monopod or light tripod. Also, don't skimp on a camera bag...I have broken some lenses falling on icy runs while trying to keep up w/ very energetic pro riders racing to the lifts. Good luck and remember boards may be closer than they appear in you lens!

I'd go for the 8mm sigma. The 8mm peleng is a good lens, but if you want to use flash, be prepared for LOTS of trial and error. Since the body doesn't relay the f/number to the body, flash exposure seems very inconsistent.

That and auto diafragm makes it worth the extra 400$ for me. Auto-focus is useless, it doesn't even lock.

I totally agree with Kyle and Neal on the issue of what gear you need to get good shots. However, I think a lot of the top professional snowboard photogs are still shooting film (Provia 100F), primarily because the Canon EOS 1v can take the cold weather better than the digital models. I'm sure this will eventually move towards digital though, like everything else.

If I were picking lenses for you, I'd get the Canon 10-22mm and the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L. Usually you'll shoot either really wide, or telephoto, and these are the two best choices. The Canon 15mm fisheye or Sigma 15mm fisheye would be great also, more so on full frame than on the 20D.

Keep in mind that alot of getting published is more WHO you shoot than what you shoot. Magazines aren't interested in photos of non-pro riders, unless they're about to become the next big thing and they're doing something really huge or gnarly. If you're selling to a market outside the snowboarding industry, it's a little easier to sell an average photo.

I'd say that some key things to do would be to get to know the top riders in your area, especially if they're pro. Make friends, ride a lot yourself to get as good as you can. You can't really photograph pro riders if you can't keep up with them or ride where they ride, unless you hang out at the pipe or at a jump. Even then, you still need to meet the riders to know who you're shooting (and to be able to get a release if you plan on selling the photo of them). Keep in mind that their photos (and video) are primarily how pros make their living, and they probably just aren't going to give them away.

Anyhow, hope this helps!

Sheldon

Diagonal fisheyes provide a 180 degree view only on a 35mm camera (or full frame sensor

DSLR), but only when measured from opposing corners (lower left to upper right). The

horizontal and vertical views are less than 180 degrees.

Circular fisheyes are designed to reproduce a 22-24mm circular image on a 24x36 frame,

just barely fitting it onto the frame. It is a true 180 degree view (or sometimes even more)

on a full frame, but on a 1.6x crop DSLR it'll extend almost all the way across the frame

except in the corners, which will be black.

I don't think you need AF at all, considering that snow is really good at reflecting light you

can probably just use hyperfocal technique at the desired aperture. Fisheye lenses have

very deep DOF.