nick_ivanov1

Going to start picturing snowboard(halfpipe, bigair). And choosing

what body is best for it.. Thinking about buying EOS-1+PB-E1 for 550

$ or EOS 1N RS for 400$. As i understand RS series goes without any

powerbooster... Is it true.?

Also thinking about EOS 3 or 5...

I need a body with 5 fps at least, a bit waterproof(not critical),

vertical holding.

Pls help me with it cause iam new to it...

Sorry for bad english, it's not my native language.

1NRS or EOS3. If you can really get a 1NRS for $400, go for it. In snowboarding situations, the 5 is bad news. No sealing from the elements.

For the EOS3, you can use a PB-E1 booster and get 6 frames per second. On the 1NRS you'll get 10 with the built in booster. The EOS3 autofocus is much superior however.

Dependant on how much you want to spend, snowboarding photography is very similar to skateboarding photography in that usually, the closer you can get, the better the shots. Of course this puts you in danger so you must be very careful.

Wide angles would work well... fisheyes would be ok too. A flash would be nice too to even out exposures. As for precisely what to buy, it really depends on budget. Try to stick with Canon lenses for autofocus speed. Hope this helps. =)

If you have the money for something like an EOS 3, go for it. But for most snowboard/ski photographers out there it's not necessary. Most pre-focus instead of using AI Servo on the rider. Well, maybe not the people out there with the super fast cameras, but I know a guy who uses a D30 and he takes some of the best skiing/boarding pics I've seen and he just pre-focuses everything.

BTW, I don't know if you're totally new to this (if you snowboard or not) but if you want to get into the magazines, a tight crop of the rider isn't what they're looking for. I see lots of people taking a picture of just the rider in the air, but the magazines are looking for the whole picture.

The reason being, riders out there today are doing some of the craziest things. Like a 120 foot gap in Utah that skiers and boarders have been hitting for years, if you were to take a tight crop of the rider, you'd have no idea that he was 50 feet in the air travelling 120 feet with a big rodeo 7.

Hey, Thnxs for all your answers.

I'm riding for bout 5 years now and after i broke my shoulder 2 weeks ago from 20 metres bigair i realize that has nothing to do this summer and began making my first steps in photography. I'd been working in a digital minilab for a few years and that interested me. =)

One dude recommended me Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Autofocus Lens to start with, and not to invest lots for my first setup to understand the basics. Whats your idea???

David, in skateboard photography fisheye is way more used then wideangle. Also, whoever said the eos1n focuses slow, most skateboard photographers (and i'm guessing snowboard photographers) use manual focus that is preset before the trick. This is done for many reasons, such as you don't want you subject in the middle of the frame but in one of the corners (rule of thirds). The 1nrs will be good for you becuase of the pellicule mirror there is no blackout which helps with seguences, i believe it can do 9fps too.