smash it, bash it, and critique it- please

collin_krabbe

<p>I very much like your site and I admire your photography. You have a great eye IMO. Also. Kudos for putting your real contact information on the site.</p>

<p>What I did not see was a commercial appeal. Are you wanting to (or do you already) do commercial work? If so I would recommend that you put some pages on to sell your services. </p>

<p>I like clean and intriguing sites. Yours is very good in that regard. Thank you for not playing Pachelbel's Canon in D in the background. I dearly love Pachelbel's Canon in D and would like it played at my funeral but if I hear it on one more photography site...I....I......Well. It appears you are not a wedding photographer and therefor chose not to play it. </p>

<p>Seriously though. I think your urban photography is very good and the industrial shot on your homepage is just wonderful.</p>

<p>Collin, I think you are right track. You've made a good effort in pulling together some work for a presentation. The website is a bit slow responding but overall the mechanics and operation are clean and effective.<br>

Your photography on the other hand is less effective IMHO. Your several lead in images to the two galleries are good. There is nothing in the rest of those factory or graffiti shots that is the least bit interesting to me from an artistic point. Using a Holga camera is a interesting device however you still need to create a compelling image with it. Simply using it to shoot banal landscapes with no real emotional pull does not make for creativity.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>As of late, I have dove into the world of Holga.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Always have someone edit your text so you can avoid clumsy grammar mistakes like this.<br>

Keep working it Collin! By your good images I can see you have a good eye and a sensitive heart. Be tough on yourself in your editing and selection process as you put together a cohesive body of work. I takes time, but you will get there. </p>

<p>Agreed that some of the shots are interesting, but few are compelling to me, as well.</p>

<p>The simplicity of the site is very nice. But I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. You might also consider adding a watermark to your images.</p>

<p>We don't care if you use a Holga, a Brownie, a quill and parchment, or whatever. Nothing wrong with providing the technical details of your work, but I don't really see the point in attempting to celebrate it. From an art perspective it's not relevant.</p>

<p>I find it unkind to imply that other artists have limitations, and that you've managed to surmount those in little time. That doesn't come across the way I think you want it to, nor do the images attest to this claim.</p>

<p>Finally, it's "pique," not "peak." There are also some extraneous commas.</p>

<p>I wonder if you can slow down the lateral panning speed. Usually with this type of action I like to find a slow speed where I can get a good look as the pix slowly walk across the screen, but yours is so fast I can barely read what I'm seeing as the pictures chatter quickly away.</p>

<p>Nice clean site, but I'm not a big fan of the horizontal panning. The interface is slightly confusing (How do I start, How do I stop, how do I view a larger image?), plus there no indication of how many images there are or where you are in the list. I think both of those would help the UI.<br>

The interface can be figured out of course, but it might help keep viewers on the site if they didn't have to think about it!</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Most of the pictures are too small. <br>

There are some interesting shots on your site, and the layout is very nice, but snapshot sized pictures tend to look like...well...snapshots!<br>

And a boring picture taken with a Holga is still a boring picture.<br>

All that said, your site shows promise. Keep working.</p>