Smallest Sheet-film Size?

MikeT-NYC

I recently bought an FR developing tank for sheet film (partly because I don't have a proper darkroom yet, so tray developing is difficult or impossible). This is a well-known older design that's adjustable for different sizes from 4x5 down. But I noticed that in addition to the usual sizes, this thing can be adjusted for sizes of film as narrow as 45mm (1 3/4"). Did anyone ever make cameras for such small sizes of sheet film, and what were they?

Mike Taglieri

I have a Certo Dolly which takes 127 roll film, or plates which are close to 4.5x6 cm; there are three plate-holders and a focusing screen, exchangeable for a plain back plate with red windows in it. The same holders also fit some Super Sport Dolly cameras (which take 120 roll film). On that camera, I think it'd be quite confusing. You can use masks to get 2¼ square format, or 6x4.5cm (2¼x1⅝ inch) ('across' the camera) on roll film, or the plates give you about the same size but 'along' the camera.

I have two packets of old plates, and have exposed a couple just for fun. I don't remember how I developed them; I don't have a tank for that size, so I guess I must have done it in a tray.

Dolly Vest Pocket - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

Super Sport Dolly - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

• Like 1

2x3 sheet film is, in my experience, probably the most common "small" sheet film size. It's, of course, roughly comparable in size to 6x9 on 120.

This is a reasonably common size thanks to the abundance of "miniature" Graphic cameras. They're about 2/3 the size(and weight) of standard 4x5 Graphic of the same model, and also have the same complement of movements.

For folks who shoot the format(I do on occasion) it's also helpful that film is still readily available. I'm still working out of a box of Efke 50 I bought new in 2009 or so, but it's also available as a regular stock item for some popular Ilford emulsions along with Foma(and Arista).

If one is so inclined, it's even possible to put a sheet film back from a later Graflok-equipped Miniature Graphic on a Mamiya RB67. I'd venture to guess that the reverse putting a Mamiya 120 or 220 back on a Graphic is more common, although Graflex did make Graflok-compatible roll film backs that will work on the Mamiya.

Edited by ben_hutcherson
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...