Smaller Canon 1D

aaron_lam

I just tried out a 5D I bought after 2 years shooting with a 1DmkII and I just

don't think I can switch. The full frame is nice but the 1-series is just so

much more robust I feel. I am going to continue trying the 5D out over the

weekend to see if it grows on me but for now, I think I am going to end up

selling it. The one thing I loved was the size of the 5D.

So here is my thought... would it be possible to make a 1-series digital camera

the size of the 1V. That seems like it would be perfect. And then you could add

a booster if you wanted higher frame rates. From what I understand, the 1-series

uses the nickel batteries to achieve a certain frame rate. What if the small

1-series digital of my dreams used lithium's and shot at 3-frames / sec and you

could then attach a booster that powered a separate circuit to boost it up the 5

or 8 frames / sec. Is this even feasibly possible? I think I would prefer that

to a camera that could shoot full and cropped images.

Just a thought...

Add a BG-E4 to your 5D, and you almost have what you are asking for except for the frame rate. I did with mine, and it feels just like my 1dMk2N, well almost, but the feel is basically the same, especially with larger L lenses. I am now going to add a BG-E2 to my 20D. These add on accessories are a must have if you want the feel of the 1 model without having to shell out the monster bucks.

<p>Is it possible? I'm not a DSLR engineer but it probably is. The question is whether or not it would generate enough sales (net of any sales of other bodies which it cannibalizes) to be worth Canon's while, and while I'm purely guessing, I suspect the answer is no.</p>

<p>Also just guessing, but I suspect a booster won't be of much help with increased frame rates on a DSLR. The thing about the booster for the 1V which increased the frame rate was not just battery power (if it were, then a battery pack like the BP-E1 with NiMH or Li batteries could also increase performance somewhat); it was also the extra motor. According to the brochure for the EOS-3, which uses the same boosters as the 1V, the extra motor in the booster relieves one of the two built-in motors of the responsibility for priming the shutter and mirror; normally, this is handled by the same motor which does film rewind, and a separate motor handles film advance. None of the film motors are required, of course, for a DSLR, so there's no need for a booster motor to relieve a built-in motor of film advance/rewind duties.</p>

Hello,

Why not just get a 1V? They lose half their value once they go out of the store, and are for sale slightly used all the time.

I have the same DSLR you have (almost - I have the N version), and in my opinion, the 1.3 crop is not that much better than full frame of my friend's 5D, and the images from the 1D seem much sharper. It's only a digital camera anyhow. I'd never use it for anything I actually care about...only for images I want to sell or don't have any interest in printing. I have borrowed it several times specifically because of the full frame sensor and file size, but I don't think I'll be doing so again. If I truly needed a huge field of view for a specific shot, I would probably just use my view camera anyhow and rent a super wide angle lens from Calumet! I didn't need the full frame sensor anyhow because my lens would have got what I needed using the very minor crop of the 1D. I think you are better off with a 1V or a used 1Ds Mk. II than with a 5D. The camera should cost about half what it does, considering the quality of its construction.

Keith

Back when I moved from my Canon manual focus to auto focus I looked very hard at the Nikon F5 and the Canon 1N. I liked the controls and quality of the F5 and the small size of the lenses compared to the Canons, but I went with the Canon because of the size of the camera and the power booster being optional. In a digital the booster is only likely to give you more battery life, not more speed. If I were going to spend the money to start over today I would be very tempted by the Nikon 200D The 200 build quality is very nice and the no booster body feels great in the hand, but the cost of all the glass I have makes changing unlikely.

With any camera the bottom line is, are the images the quality what I want or not. After that it is just feel good and trust of the company involved. The 5D is very expensive for a less than pro body camera, and will probably remain so until the competition forces a change. After Canons recent introduction of the dust removal system in the D400 line I am surprised any one is buying any Canons At all. I figure that system will move up through the line in the next generation of cameras. A 5D with dust removal and a mirror lock up/ programmable button sounds good to me. Call it a 5Dn. Or better yet put the 5D sensor with the dust removal system in a 1 series body without the vertical grip and sell it for the price of the 200D.

Yes! That is exactly what I am looking for. The 5D sensor in a 1 body (and controls) without the booster. If the battery has nothing to do with the frame rate on a digital... why wouldn't they make the battery smaller? Maybe so the 1-series film bodies don't have to change batteries? Anyway... thanks for everyone's comments.