Small tripod inside photo bag

jorge_garcia1

Is there any small travel tripod (eg. Slik Sprint Mini) that can be put inside a

photo bag (eg. Lowepro Slingshot 300)?

Today I am using a Manfrotto table tripod and a Slingshot 200 for travel but I

should like a bigger tripod for night shots. Camera is 40D plus 2 or 3 objetives.

I can't imagine any tripod small enough to fit inside a camera bag to be worth using. What's a tripod for, after all, but to provide a steady platform under a wide range of conditions. If you need a portable support and tripod are not allowed, use a bean bag.

I carry a Gitzo GT-3540 for travel, and have it with me whenever possible. It's not that hard to manage if you have the self-discipline to do so.

Jorge, the larger Gorillapod with ballhead sounds pretty interesting. However, I have no idea how good it really is because like Edward, I travel with a full size tripod. But if I was looking for something smaller, understood that there were tradeoffs, and thought of this as a 'something-better-than-nothing' kind of solution, I might give it a shot.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/494521-REG/Joby__Gorillapod_SLR_Zoom_Flexible_Mini_Tripod.html

I used to carry a Leica table top tripod in my bag, but it was just too much extra baggage in most situations. However, there are times when it can be very useful, such as in dark cathedrals, museums, and almost anywhere else that regular tripods are not allowed. You just mount the camera on the minipod and hold the whole assembly against a wall, pillar or railing. I sold my Leica pod but I have seen one that is much lighter, and slightly smaller with the Polaroid name on it. It was priced about $20. It looked as though it would work with weights less than about a kilo (~2#).

I don't have a small tripod with me but I do take a clamp in my bag. Looks like a C-clamp with a small ballhead on top. Very often you can use a railing, chair, table or so to clamp your camera on. I have visited churches with a chair this way... Some of these clamps also have 3 small legs that can be screwed in the bottom to make a small "tripod" but I find those not very usefull.

I have the polaroid tripod that Alex mentioned. It was originally made for the SX-70 camera. I found one in a photo shop years ago. I have used it extensively when I travel. Very useful when you have a table, wall, or even a car fender (engine off, of course).

Jerry

I always have an Ultrapod II in my bag. A folding glass reinforced resin deskop tripod with a Velcro strap useful for wrapping around railings. It has a simple ball head and thumbscrew, weighs <4 oz ,and costs around $2. It is made by Pedco.

I have used it on tables, rocks, and the ground; strapped it to railings, chairs, and occasionally another tripod; Used it to stabilize a shot by resting it against my chest, against pillars in cathedrals. It has given me low light shots I thought impossible.

It has lived in my camera bags for over 25years...

I have the mid sized gorillapod. It will support my OM-1n with a small prime on it, such as a 24mm lens. It does not provide good support in windy conditions, but it does okay for long exposures so long as things are resonably calm. The big sized gorillapod would probably work much better with its significantly higher weight limit (around 6lbs instead of the around 1.5lbs of my current one).

I have, and still use, a Velbon mini tripod with a (Cambo?) CBH2 ball head. Completely folded, it is less than 9 inches long. Fully extended, it is about 18 inches long. I have used it successfully with a Nikon FM and either a 20/3.5, 50/1.4, or a with a TC201 and the 50/1.4 when travelling. It is small enough to conceal from the "No Tripod" authorities. It is also light in weight so its addition to the camera bag is not noticeable. It can be held firmly against a wall, column, Church pew back, whatever. As said by another well known identity; I wouldn't leave home without it.

I take an Untrapod 2 with me and carry it in my pants pocket when I cannot take my tripod. However, I would much prefer to use a larger tripod than this except in emergency situatuations. The one I would buy is the Gitzo GT 1540 but it will not fit into your camera bag in that its closed length is about 21 inches. Joe Smith