boys arena,aperture,phaidon, st. anns etc... Now it would be great if

one of them pics up the book but I know the reality of that dream. My

question is what are some small publishers out there who may be more

open to a first book, I've thought about self publishing, but it seems

to just add in a whole bunch of other problems I'm not sure I want to

deal with.

doug

Doug,

It depends a bit on what kind of work you do. Do your photographs have a subject -- or is this a selection of what you consider to be your best work ? When I started, I got smaller university type institutions to do a catalogue, which I then tried to improve with sweat equity from designer friends, and goodwill from printers. There are so many routes to go. I think the best books are often not just a published portfolio of images, but something that has resonance about the world. Not that I am advocating photographs as illustrations, but think of American Photographs or Antlitz der Zeit or Sudek's Prague Panoramas. I welcome discussions that are not just about sharper lenses or some kind of photographic holy water.

Doug,

I did a small softcover book (32 pp with 16 duotones), "Imagining Antarctica," and self-published it, using Becotte & Co. a printer in Philadelphia. Then I did "Fifty Houses" (132 pp with 51 duotones) with a university press, using a book packager as a liaison.

I'm reasonably happy with how both of them turned out, but the printing on the smaller one was better. I was on press to monitor that one; I decided not to go to Singapore for press checks on the other.

Four big differences:

1. Complete creative control over the self-published book. Worked closely with the designer, a friend. Though I was allowed a remarkable amount of input with the other one, it wasn't complete control.

2. The first one cost me $7000 for 1000 copies, the second one nothing for 3000 copies. (Of course I get some money back selling the self-published one. Royalties on the second book will be tiny.)

3. The first one took three months from design concept to printed books. The second took over three years once the packager agreed to take it.

4. The first one is being distributed laboriously by me (and photo-eye) from boxes in my bedroom. The second one is being sold on Amazon and Borders and many other major outlets, distributed by the publisher.

Good luck with it! It can take a lo-o-o-ng time to find the right fit.

I have seen a number of books published which have been

sponsored by a company or, more often, a trade association.

This includes obvious things like hardcore industrial

photography, but also more abstruse architectural and social

documentary work. It's one way of taking some of the risk out of

self-publishing, without losing control.