small camera to shot color slides???

kik

i want a second camera to shot COLOR SLIDES (probably 100 asa, but maybe Provia 400 too)

to complement my MP with the 35mm Ahsp. Cron. (That i use to shot Black and White)

i want it as small as possible (POKETABLE) and FULL MANUAL control, i dont need zoom,

35mm or 40mm (FAST) its ok...

i was thinking of the minilux or the cm but they are expensive, any thing cheaper???

Olumpus Stylus Epic. Splash proof, with a very sharp, fast lens.

New they used to go for about $80 bucks. I think they offer a good amount of manual control, but I haven't used mine in a few years.

That or get a IIIc with a 2/50 Summicron collapsible.

Many of us photographers change film in our cameras from time to time. That way our cameras swing both ways.

I don't really want to sound sarcastic, but the color rendition of the new Leica aspherical lenses is the one true, visible advantage you get for the big $$$ they cost. To read a post from someone with a $3,000 body and a $2,500 lens who won't use it for color work makes Leica owners look like the stupid a**holes that the Nikon/Canon forums always say they are.

Andy, i do use my 35mm Apsh. cron to shot color slides, and thats what i do (change film

and use only one body)... however there are visible diferences in resolution, contrast, etc

from the version 4 lens... by the way i would not mind having the 4st version since they are

smaller... im not a resolution paranoid... and i use the leica also becouse they are small and

quiet... i still want a second pockteble body... sorry!!!

Even if I bought another camera, I would still use your current outfit for color slides. Except that it doesn't fit in a pocket, why not? You're in for a treat.

OK, having said that, the cameras mentioned already, as well as Yashica T4, Contax T. I have a Leica CM, aperture priority but no full manual control. For that, you probably need a IIIc with a collapsible lens.

You run a risk of pocketable cameras having more light falloff towards the corner of the frames than your MP and lenses. Smaller lenses can mean more vignetting, and light falloff for other reasons. Unfortunately, slide film makes such a flaw more obvious due to the higher contrast than the C-41/RA-4 workflow.

For instance, this is one of the serious "gotcha's" about the otherwise very nice Olympus XA, especially wide open. The Kodachrome 64 slides I shot with it wide open make it brutally obvious. But it sure is small.

The other thing to consider is any of the many compact rangefinders from the 1970's. The most common example is the Canon Canonet QL17 G-III. But there are many others, none is perfect, but most have better glass than something truly "pocketable". Steve Gandy's site (http://www.cameraquest.com) has a good discussion of them.

Or, get a screw mount Leica, and a good Summar or Summitar. Summar is smaller, Summitar is sharper. While both aren't particularly high-contrast, they can tame the constrast of slide film. Put a small meter in the accessory shoe.

Francisco - I think the "full manual control" part of your requirements may be the sticking point.<p><p>

The little Olympus Stylus Epic is a good camera and a great value, and truly pocketable, but it's strictly autofocus and autoexposure (with a spotmeter, if you keep your fingernails trimmed just so). You can't even adjust iso.<p><p>

The Ricoh GR-1 series are not good but great cameras (I've seen phenomenal photos from them), considerably more expensive than the Stylus, but they're aperture priority autoexposure.<p><p>

The celebrated Contax T is aperture priority and manual focus, but <a href=http://www.dantestella.com/technical/contaxt.html>seldom available and probably no longer repairable</a>. Contax got up to the T2 and T3 -- very small and excellent, but again aperture priority and I think really designed to be used as autofocus cameras. <p><p>

I like and have the little Olympus XA, which is aperture priority, manual rf focus, and very tiny. Comparatively inexpensive, too. But I cannot defend the camera against the charge that its 35mm f/2.8 Zuiko lens, while no slouch, is not up to the extraordinary quality of the Contax, the Ricoh GR-1 series cameras, or the Leica CM or Minilux. (Nor can I or do I defend my photography when it's pointed out that I'm not in that league either -:) <p><p>

Have you thought about one of the very small mostly 1970's era rangefinders from Olympus, Canon, Ricoh, Minolta? They offer all manual control (often with shutter priority AE as an option) and they're small. Pocketable? Well, perhaps in a field jacket pocket, but not a pants pocket.<p><p>

Finally there are the little Rollei 35 cameras, very small (although quirky in the handling). A couple of them had superb lenses (40mm f/2.8, I think), and they offer full manual control of exposure, but ... only zone or 'guess' focusing -- no rangefinder focus.

I've had a couple delays while typing, so if others have already covered some of this ground, I'll apologize in advance for being redundant.

I go with Ronald. But take a Rollei 35 S or 35 SE (the latter with convenient lightmeter in viewfinder). Full manual control. This camera is simply unbreakable, full metal body and precision mechanics and works at all times (battery independent shutter, works effortless at -40C, mine works after 20 years of rough handling, I have it always in my pocket during mountaineering and it has taken a few falls...). Clear viewfinder. Has renowned Sonnar f2.8 40mm lens. Tack sharp.

Cheers, Bernhard

Minox GT, has full manual control, but you need to change shutter speeds by changing the ASA and faking out the built in light meter. It is very pocketable, very quiet, however you will need to guessitmate the distance to your subject, BTW it's the size of 2 rolls of film when collapsed.

Petri Color 35, 1968 version. They regularly show up on E-Bay in VG condition for $100- $150. It has a 40mm/2.8 lens, fully manual with a simple rangefinder, and is built like a tank.

Either that, or an Olympus Stylus Epic. As was mentioned, it is not fully manual, but exactly the opposite. Fully automatic. But the 35/2.8 Zuiko lens on it has taken some of the sharpoest photos I have, AND it has a spot meter, something very nice to have when shooting slides. Plus it fits in a shirt pocket.

Not a 100% match for your needs, but I recommend the Contax T3. You get true shirt-pocket size and weight, an ultra-sharp Zeiss Sonnar 35/2.8, and electronic leaf shutter. Given its underlying P&S nature, you lose full manual control, although focus and exposure can be set with subterfuge and some excruciating menu navigation. Price used is $4-500.

I almost always pair the T3 with my M, mainly for the flash.

Riccardo Maia , oct 21, 2005; 06:44 a.m.

Hi Francisco, I've been going through a "as small as possible 35 MM" period too here's my conclusion:

1) TESSINA: is a Beautiful entirely mechanic half size jewel. Great, great, great but would you really use it? It's like a micro-hasselbad and the viewfinder is not the easiest think.

2) MINOX: they're the reference in this segment of the market: light, collapsible, extremely portable excellent optical quality and very, very quiet. The DRAWBACKS: (a) no battery = no pictures, (b)ther's no range finder, therfore you 'guess' the focusing (and sometimes you forget to focus too!) © older models (e.g. EL) should be avoided (they use the 5.6 volts batteries no longer available) (d) a certain weakness of the shutter which tends to "stick" and needs a regular maintenance (in my exerience more than once a year (this is particularly true with the older models) BEWARE: This is a major problem as the shutter is so quiet you're very likely tho shot all your film (or films if you're travelling) just to find out afterwards all the picture were blank. I can guarantee this is VERY frustrating!!!!

3) ROLLEI 35: this is close to perfection: unbeatable optical quality (Sonnar or Tessar with HFT treatement), great mechanics, great design (funny and pleasantly outdated), ENTIRELY MANUAL (you control everything), made by solid steel. The Sonnar (S) is 2.8, the Tessar (T) is 3.5. If you go for Rollei 35 prefer the last models (SE and TE) with a reasonably good led meter inside the viewfinder (the older models have a non brillant selenium meter). The DRAWBACKS: (a) As for Minox ther's no rangefinder and you guess the distance, it's havier and slightly bigger than Minox (wich is made by plastic)

d) CONTAX T basically a luxury Minox with Zeiss lens: Sonnar optic, made in steel, RANGEFINDER (Not as accurate as a Leica MP but still much better than 'guessing'), collapsible. Sounds like the compact dream? Actually it is BUT it also have a few DRAWBACKS: (a) no batteries = no pictures (b) they've the same problem Minox have with the shutter (see above) and they're a little bit more expensive.

Let me kow your choice.

Cheers

Riccardo