SLR Viewing: What a mess!!

Keppler shows how to get sharper shots.

Found this a particularly fun read: it always has baffled me how little attantion there is (in photography courses or similar) for handholding techniques, and how holding the camera better can help a lot in battling movements. Sure, a tripod is better etc. but most people shoot hand-held, and yet I've never seen instruction books, teachers, course instructors dedicate much time to it.

I agree on the Keppler article.

It amazes me how many folks I see with a two-handed death grip, one on each side of the body, and with their elbows flailing every which way. Cradling the lens and tucking my elbows is so second-nature that I don't even think about it.

For shorter shutter speeds, I use the breathing techniques that I practiced and learned for bullseye and long-range shooting. I can't say I'm that great at either, but at least it helped me. Basically, I was taught to inhale then squeeze the trigger(or release the shutter) while exhaling slowly.

Thanks again, Marc. Another couple of good Keppler articles, on holding the camera and on zooms.

The film-developer roundup came useful. I am currentlly experimenting with an old can of DK-50, so it was nice to see it featured only 50 years ago.

Equipment wise, the Pen FT was out and being tested; Leica M4, and Exakta VX IIb were advertised.. I remember how expensive the high end cameras felt at the time.

Wouter & Ben - Even with image stabilization using good technique is important. One could probably get at least 2 extra stops improvement.

Gus - Glad you are enjoying these.

Brian - I was just messing around with my Nikkormat the other day. I really like its focusing screen.

Rick - I remember that i could take shots with my Rolleicord Vb at pretty slow speeds. I would have the neck strap taut, breathe out slowly then take the shot.

Mike - I beleive the reason that Konica didn't bring out this camera was that the head designer died. He was probably the driving force behind this camera.

Julio - I think I remembered this test when I bought my Pen FT in 1971.

JDM - I just with there was something similar today. Everything seems so equipment oriented.

James - In 1967 I was using a Argus C-3 and was happy as a clam. I couldn't imagine ever needing another camera. Was I wrong.

• 2 weeks later...