SLR for landscape use

brian_bahn

<p>I have the itch to buy a Nikon SLR to use mainly for landscape photos and also would mainly be B&W film. I currently have the 85 1.8 and 80-200 2.8 lenses that I use with my D300. Obviously I would need to get preferrably a 20mm lens or at minimum I would want a 24mm.</p>

<p>I have an OM-1 that I have used several times for this but figure if I can pick up a newer film body that can also be used with my current lenses I might as well. One question before I set the criteria is can I use my current lenses mentioned on a manual focus body? I don't mind manual focusing on a body with large viewfinder.</p>

<p>So really here's what I am looking for:<br>

1. Film body with good metering, this is mainly what I am looking for, good accurate metering. Not sure I need auto modes(A priority, P, etc.)<br>

2. Can be AF or MF. The trade off would be if I couldn't use current lenses on MF body then I would tend to lean AF.<br>

3. Doesn't need to be built like a tank, this will be ocassional user.<br>

4. Inexpensive. $100 or less. So this leaves me money to buy a 20 or 24 lens.</p>

<p>Any suggestions for a body and/or lens? N80? N90? F100? Which MF body(not real familiar with these but again no issue with manual focusing). Would an MF body and a 20 or 24 lens come fairlly inexpensively?</p>

<p>Virtually any film-based body is fine for landscape photography, which is generally a slow and ponderous activity that exploits almost no advanced camera features. Buy the cheapest working body you can find, and make sure you leave enough money in your budget for good lenses and a good tripod and head, both of which will have far more impact on your photographic experience and on the end result than will the camera itself.<br>

That said, if you're serious about landscape photography, 35mm film is probably not the best tool for the job. You can buy a pretty good used 4x5 view camera setup for the price of a decent Nikon film body and wide lens.</p>

<p> The N90s is a good idea. I would advise you spend more money and buy a 24/2.8 AFD, so you can use it on your D300 with full compatibility (including flash) as well. </p>

<p> Read Bjorn Rorslett's site for usable, expert, real-life advice on Nikkor lenses. The unloved, unglamorous, and consequently inexpensive 28/3.5 is a superb landscape (and general use) lens.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yeah for film, any bodies will do. For digital, each model would be somewhat different to the other, the main being a different sensor. With film,you have teh same film. </p>

<p>AF lenses should work in a MF body function wise but you may prefer a MF lens for various reasons. </p>

<p>I like to get into landscapes too. A MF body can be good too, if the lenses have dof marking even great, takes focussing totally out of the equation. They can be cheaper, robust and smaller physicaly without the grip hold. You can also do multi hour exposures for astro photog at night when you are sleep. Some may work without a battery but the light meter won't function. Going camping and hiking, a cheaper bashed up body might be better in tht regard than to scruff up a mint looking one. </p>

<p>Any AF models would be great too. All you need is maybe dof preview function should you wish to use grad filters. Such as a light 370g N75. </p>

<p>You too can get into medium format or large format.</p>